How to pack a kayak? / storage room?

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Carnivore

How to pack a kayak? / storage room?

Post by Carnivore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:48 am

This is my first post and english isn't my native language so bear with me.. :)

I've recently been interested about inflatable kayaks for several reasons. I'm a nature photographer and I like backpacking. I don't know why kayak has not occurred to me earlier... It seems to be the perfect solution for about everything I like to do.

Inflatable kayak even 200% more so.

My problem is that I like to go out for a week or two at a time. It means 80 litres backpack fully loaded and possibly a tent and other smaller stuff. And my camera stuff. Camera equipment must be in watertight bags and they will weigh about 17 kg.

I'm not worried about the weight, since I know that these inflatables can carry a lot. But where I'll put my stuff?

I'm now considering 2 models. Advancedframe and Expedition. From videos and pics I can see that Expedition is larger. But not one of those videos shows what you can actually pack "under deck". "Above deck" room I can see and calculate myself. But what I can't calculate is underneath. So if you know, please help me. :)

Pictures and measures would be much appreciated. :)

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:06 pm

The space under the deck varies between the two models.

AE1012 ADvanced Frame
behind seat: 1ftL x 1ftW x 1ftH (30cmL x 30cmW x 30cmH)
front: None unless you are short and can stick a small dry bag towards the front.

AE1009 Expedition
Behind Seat: 2ftL x 1ftW x 1ftH (60cmL x 30cmW x 30cmH)
Front: In front of the foot btace there is a space about 10"L x 1 ftW x 1ftH (25cmL x 30cmW x 30cmH). Smaller if the foot brace is adjusted to be all the way foward and larger if the brace is all the way back.

For 1 - 2 week trips, I would recommend the expedition.

Jeremy

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:24 am

Good info. Thanks! I'll go for the Expedition.

MikeSue

Post by MikeSue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Also not sure if this is an option for you or not but the AF convertible is a tandem but can be converted for solo use. I don't have mine yet but I would imagine in solo mode it should give you lots of storage room inside, both in front and behind.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Another option to consider is the StraitEdge 2, which is a sit-on-top.
I also suggest being sure to fasten all your waterproof gear bags to the kayak. Good luck!