How to store inflated kayak?

Can't find what you're looking for regarding your kayak or a specific kayak? Post it here.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Daddy-O

How to store inflated kayak?

Post by Daddy-O » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:31 am

I have recently aquired the ability to transport my kayaks to and from the water without deflating them. Since I go out on the water on a regular basis, I would love to leave them inflated (or partially inflated). How could I store the inflated kayak at home? Is there a rack I should try to build or straps I should try to get. I have room in the shed to store them, or I have a covered outside area I could put them in. I'm looking for any suggestions for doing this the best way possible.
Daddy-O

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:10 am

You could store it on a rack, with straps or on a long table. With the rack and straps, you will need to make sure the kayak is pretty much fully inflated or else it may slip off the rack or through the straps. The key is, when storing, to make sure it isn't being stored in extreme temperatures. Really hot or really cold. If it gets really hot in the shed, then you will definately have to store it partially inflated. The air will expand inside the tubes and if it is fully inflated, it can burst. Make sure there aren't any rodents in your shed as well.

Jeremy

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks for the response. I think I might have a good idea (I get so few of those, that I'm not sure). Tell me what you think about this. I could build the framework to the rack, then hang tarps in the inside (think hammock) for the kayaks. I have four af kayaks, so I could have two rows, stacked two high for our kayaks. We could slide them in and out of their craddles as we need them. I will probably keep the rack outside under cover from the sun. What do you think?
Daddy-O

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:16 pm

Sounds good. To help you with any ideas for racks, look at Talic and Suspenz.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks again. I'll google those right away. I want to get this done so I can keep my kayaks stored in "ready to go" condition. I'll try to post a picture of the complete racks when I get them done.
Daddy-O