Adding Velcro to Hull

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

dspid2404

Adding Velcro to Hull

Post by dspid2404 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:52 pm

If I wanted to add a strip or two of Velcro to the hull of my Expedition, is it best to sew it on or glue it on. If sewing it on would be best, what type of thread should be used? Should there be a backing on the opposite side for strength? Should the material be treaded afterward? Any advise would be useful.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Are you adding your Velcro to the outer top deck or to the outer hull?
When I add Velcro to knapsacks or jackets, I glue it then sew it then add waterproofing.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:11 am

Probably the upper hull.

sonar

Re: Adding Velcro to Hull

Post by sonar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 pm

dspid2404 wrote:If I wanted to add a strip or two of Velcro to the hull of my Expedition, is it best to sew it on or glue it on. If sewing it on would be best, what type of thread should be used? Should there be a backing on the opposite side for strength? Should the material be treaded afterward? Any advise would be useful.

Hi you have most likely have done this by now.

But yes you need a backing strip and the best way I have found is to sew it only.

Adding glue adhesive will not help if you have to move or replace the item at a later date for any reason..

The thread for sewing is Polyester thread quite strong and very hard wearing.

Another type of thread is a polyester cotton this is the type of thread that is hard wearing and has a certain amount of cotton that swells when wet.
Helps to seal any small needle holes.