Putting floor blader back into floor

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

ScottTheShot

Post by ScottTheShot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:06 pm

I took the floor bladder out to make a repair my straitedge 2 kayak. Is there an easy way to put the floor bladder back in? I shoved it into the pocket for it and added air but it was a pain to do and I don't know if it is bunched up or fully expanded.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:06 am

You have to get you hand and arm in there as far as you can to try and push it to the ends. If not able to, then a blunt stick or something like that can be used to try and push it as well.

ScottTheShot

Post by ScottTheShot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:31 am

Yes, I did the arm and leg push but am wondering if there is a better way. Would adding a little air help? A full length zipper would be helpful. Also using the same valve on all of the bladders would be an improvement. I love the spring valve and the way it works with the AE Double action hand pump with pressure gauge but the Boston valve, which is a nice idea in the you can fill it with the one way valve and deflate with the larger opening, doesn't work well with the pump and you can't tell the pressure due to the one way filling valve.why don't we have the spring valve on all of the bladders? Can we get a floor bladder with a spring valve?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:47 am

It has been suggested and we are continually trying to improve on our products. We are looking at better options for the floor valve. In future production of the StraitEdge kayaks, we will be adding a longer zipper to make removal and placement of the floor easier.

ScottTheShot

Post by ScottTheShot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks. Is there any chance you might make a spring valve that could screw into the deflate opening of the Boston valve on the floor bladder?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:00 am

Threw out the suggestion to the design team. I don't believe anything like that currently exists so it would have to be something that we design and tool. Good suggestion. It would be awhile though if it went through to get into production.

ScottTheShot

Post by ScottTheShot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:14 am

Thanks for taking my suggestion seriously. Let me know if you do as i would buy one. I would say after reading posts on this forum that it would eliminate a large percentage of questions about how much air to put in the floor. By being able to use the pressure gauge and fill it to 1.0psi and know it is at that pressure takes all of the guess work out of it. I think this would be a best seller for those who have one of your boats.