prevention VS repair

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

sparkyboom

prevention VS repair

Post by sparkyboom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Ive noticed a few deepish scratches on the hull of my expedition, primarily where the backbone sits and I figured if I had protected it with a long strip of tear aid type B from day 1 e.g a strip about 3 inched wide all the way from the skeg to the landing fin, I would of avoided many of these scars.

I have ordered a long strip of tear aid, has anyone done this kind of prevention strategy before?

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:36 am

Seems a really good idea to me , Klepper use this keelstrip this method on their folding kayaks.
Wonder if AE will start marketing or at least approve something like this...
I try to get out before running aground as i don`t think pvc tarp is as tough
as they say and definitely on sharp shells or rocks , where the backbone pushing tightly against the inside makes it all the more vulnerable.
I filled a couple of scratches on my Convertible with Aquaseal , just a small amount using a cocktail stick , brings the material back to it`s original thickness.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Aquaseal- Apply a small amount of Aquaseal to the area. Use a card to apply it evenly and it will be good to go.

sparkyboom

Post by sparkyboom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 am

Sounds like I have to find the equivalent version in Australia or order it in from the good old U.S of A

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:09 pm

Not usually one for posting links but.,....
http://www.jettydive.com.au/products/31 ... d-Sealant/
Seek and ye shall find...
This stuff really is the industry standard for polyurethane sealer glues
and is incredibly hard wearing.
Dries ,or rather cures (via moisture in the air )real slow so after the solvent has evaporated ,continues to slowly flow a bit , so be warned.
Clean the scratches out well first with a cotton bud just dampened with rubbing alcohol , no strong solvents.

sparkyboom

Post by sparkyboom » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the link, I thought the stuff would be more expensive than that, I spent more on tear aid!

output555

An ounce of prevention

Post by output555 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:28 pm

While Tear-Aid Type B seems just OK to protect the hull from rocks I'd think clear Gorilla Duct tape would be much thicker, and therefore, better. It's inexpensive too and comes in nine foot rolls.

Thoughts?

output555

An ounce of prevention

Post by output555 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:41 pm

While Tear-Aid Type B seems just OK to protect the hull from rocks I'd think clear Gorilla Duct tape would be much thicker, and therefore better. It's inexpensive too and comes in nine foot rolls.

Thoughts?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:47 am

The Tear-Aid is for quick repairs and not protection.
You can also look at the Tenacious Tape by McNett.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:33 pm

I like Gorilla Tape so when travelling I'm prepared for emergency repairs, but apparently duct tape is not recommended for a lasting repair. The stickum on the tape softens the PVC of the hull and it goes gummy. It would have to be cleaned off and then a lasting repair made.