Sharing Drying techniques

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

soalle

Sharing Drying techniques

Post by soalle » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:36 am

Hello all,

I am quite a new member of the forum, and I have used the AEC only three times with a lot of joy. Drying it out is the only annoying part of the whole experience.

I thought it could be helpful if everyone shares his/her technique for drying it out with the hope that we can learn from each other.

I'll start with mine (that I use whenever I don't have enough time to let it dry out in the sun and whenever I don't want to go through the hassle of disassembling it, drying and reassembling it again).

"Bow and Stern Lift + Fan"
- I open the kayak in the garage
- Usually the part that is most wet for me is under the bow (between the tube and the outer cover) and under the stern
- In the bow, I put one hand pump between the inner tubes and the outer cover, so to lift the tube from the outer cover and leave space for air to circulate between the outer cover and the bottom of the tube
- I put a second hand pump in the stern as described above
- I leave a table fan on in the center of the kayak pointing to the bow (and then later to the stern) for few hours

With this technique I am able to go from a wet kayak (not soaking wet) to full dry in 4-5 hours.

I am curious to get ideas from your techniques so please contribute to the thread!

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:52 am

Seems like a lot of work to me. My AdvancedFrame never seems to get all that wet. When I take it out of the water, I wipe off the grey hull with a towel, and within minutes it is all dry. I then fold it up, put it in the bag, and away I go. When I get home, I just inflate the kayak, and leave it to dry. About every third time I use it, I take it completely apart, to clean it out.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:59 am

I have both an Expedition and an older model of the Lagoon.
The Lagoon I take out of its hull once a year or so, then wipe all over the inflated boat as well as inside the hull.
I've never taken the Expedition out of its hull, just the inflatable floor. A towel blots up any water that's lingering inbetween the tubes and the hull.

We get a lot of rainy days here, so it's nice once a year or so to bring the kayaks indoors to be sure they've dried out thoroughly. I've never used a fan, though!

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:19 pm

I should add here that, one of the reasons I like to take my kayak completely apart after 3 or 4 trips is that the outside cover does seem to become misaligned over time, which causes the cockpit to be somewhat off center, if I look down on it directly from the top. I can definitely see more of the right main tube inside, than the left main tube. I'm not sure why this happens, but it's only a minor inconvenience to me, since I like to take the kayak apart every now and then for cleaning.

I just did this today, and I remembered about the misaligned outer cover. I fix it by unzipping the partially inflated main tube cover, and shove my hand in, under the cover, to manipulate the PVC tube until I have it where I want it.

I can also notice the misalignment in the main tube cover itself, by viewing the black straps, that hold the aluminum front and rear ribs in place. Either one, or the other will be just slightly off center, when viewed from directly above. So, it could be that the culprit is not actually the outer cover, but the main tube cover, that is pulling the outer cover out of alignment.

After considering how this could be, I feel that the hole for the inner spring valve was not put in the correct location, and this is twisting the main tube cover off center, which, in turn, twists the aluminum ribs off center, which twists the outer cover off center.

I may try to slightly enlarge that hole for the inner spring valve in the main tube cover, the next time I have it apart, and see if that corrects this situation.

Like I said, it's not a huge problem. I'm just a bit of a stickler for having things just right. :P