Burst I-Beam in AE Convertible Standard Floor

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

devster

Burst I-Beam in AE Convertible Standard Floor

Post by devster » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:23 am

Hi all

I recently bought a used AE Convertible which I love. I wrangled with the choice of hard shell vs inflatable but since I live in Hong Kong, storage and portability are important.

The boat I bought has obviously had the standard floor over inflated as one of the I beams is split and it forms a bulge in the mid right of the floor. I think this is causing yawing as well.

Is there any way to fix this ? I am not sure if slicing and gluing are a good idea but am keen to hear anyone else's ideas or experience.

I can buy a new one but the shipping to HK makes it a bit expensive

Cheers

Timbo

Post by Timbo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:16 am

You could try (re) welding it by laying waxed oven paper over the seam and using using a soldering iron through the paper whilst supporting it on a hard level surface . Practice on a cheap inflatable beach toy first. Thats often how they repair kitesurf bladders , otherwise try your local kitesurf shop , maybe they have their own repair guy.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Once an I-beam has gone, it is almost impossible to repair. You pretty much need to replace the floor. You can always consider ordering the upgraded Drop Stitch Floor. You can find it for sale at www.airkayaks.com

devster

Post by devster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks guys

sgerami

Stand-UP Paddle Board

Post by sgerami » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:24 am

My floor has the same problem. I am planning to buy an Inflatable Stand-UP Paddle Board and use it instead. It's cheaper than the $250 Floor and can have other uses. Anybody else done the same?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Re: Stand-UP Paddle Board

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 am

sgerami wrote:My floor has the same problem. I am planning to buy an Inflatable Stand-UP Paddle Board and use it instead. It's cheaper than the $250 Floor and can have other uses. Anybody else done the same?
Not quite sure how an inflatable SUP is cheaper than a dropstitch floor. They typically start at $450 and go up to $1500.
The regular floor can also be replaced with the same regular floor for $50.
Just don't over inflate it or leave it out in the sun so that the I-Beams burst.