ripped the bottom of my lagoon 2 kayak

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

paul buckley

ripped the bottom of my lagoon 2 kayak

Post by paul buckley » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:12 pm

hi guys, very new to inflatables and hit a couple of man made debri on a river trip which has ripped a 7 in hole in the bottom of my lagoon two. I have the repair kit but the patches are circular and way too small. any suggestions on how to repair it. would be most obliged for your help. Paul.

yaka2b

Post by yaka2b » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Drop into the nearest upholstery shop -- where they make awnings, marine cushions etc-- they are likely to oblige by giving you -free-- a piece of discarded grey PVC ., the material they make awnings, cushions from.

Standard PVC tear repair instructions thereafter.

Cheers

paul buckley

Post by paul buckley » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Great, thanks so much for such a prompt reply. I´ll get on to it as soon as possible.
someone also suggested plastic swimming pool fabric and glue but your suggestion sounds more economical. thanks again

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 am

You can also contact customer service to get a larger piece of material to make the repair.
info@advancedelements.com 707-745-9800

yaka2b

Post by yaka2b » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Suggest doing a "herringbone stitch" with unwaxed floss to align the ripped ends together prior to putting on the pvc patch.

I had tried a length of duct tape on the opposite end, but made a gooey mess when I used a cleaner to prep the pvc surface for gluing.
The "stitch" method worked fine.

Cheers