Cleaning and waterproofing

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Fran

Cleaning and waterproofing

Post by Fran » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:02 am

Hi. I have a couple of questions about cleaning and making my kayak (AF Expedition) a bit more waterproof.

I know these subjects have already been discussed here but I need more detailed informations.

I know I can clean my kayak with mild soap and water, at least the outer skin. What I want to know is if I can clean in the same way also the gray fabric tube cover.

I see that McNett ReviveX Spray-On (or in alternative 303 Products Fabric Guard spray) is recommended in order to make the outer fabric waterproof. Here the question is similar to the previous one: can I use these products on the tube cover? I'm asking this since, when I paddle in the sea, water tend to enter the kayak quite easily.

Does anybody know if a 10 oz bottle of McNett spray is enough for at least the outer skin of an Expedition?

Thank you

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:36 am

The outer cover as well as the grey tube cover come with a pvc laminate on the underside that help prevent water from seeping through. Over time, it may get a little worn and some water can get through. You can use a bottle of the revivex or 303 and it should be enough for both. You will not need to apply a lot for it to be effective. It helps the water bead and roll off the cover. To keep water out of the cockpit, a spray skirt is recommended. Either model AE2026 or AE2007.
The soapy water definitely helps clean the kayak as well as a watered down bucket of simple green. Very light concentrate of this for it is strong.

Fran

Post by Fran » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Thank you for your reply, jcooley.

I already considered purchasing a spray skirt but I cannot decide what model. Maybe the AE2026 is fine enough, or maybe even better when it is not very cold.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Both serve the same purpose and are the same size.
AE2007 has Shoulder straps and a mesh pocket whereas the AE2026 does not.