reminder-- don't drag it!

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

khaduch

Post by khaduch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:04 pm

aha! I bought type A thinking the black part was rubber. I have the boat outside right now upside down inflated on two sawhorses. I put the thick gray patch over it first with the rubber cement (all from the patch kit provided) and weighted it down with small sandbags. I will run out and get some type B to cover the whole thing. Glad I checked back here. I wondered why that Tear Aid didn't seem to be as fabulous as everyone said! thanks guys!!

khaduch

Post by khaduch » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:12 pm

Here we are, it's mid October, and I am still having issues with this tear. Type B is not adhering to the black material-- I just peeled it off. It stuck really well to the gray patch I first applied. So now I am going for a giant gob of rubber cement all around the gray patch. It is hard to get the tear aid to adhere flat without any wrinkles in this problem area, so water is still getting in! I guess I should keep doing the gobs for a good seal, then maybe using the tear aid just for extra protection around the edges of the gray patch? ARgh!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

SF48

Post by SF48 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear you're having such troubles with that tear. :twisted: I've been lucky to have no such problems with mine thus far, but I have to admit I do carry it to and from the water. I do beach it when I'm pulling in though, and I've been duly impressed with the toughness of the hull so far. Maybe some minor scratches, but nothing more yet.

PJohanson

Gorilla Tape warning

Post by PJohanson » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:29 pm

Check with Jeremy before putting any kind of duct tape on your kayak! He told me that the glue in duct tape softens the hull material and after a little while makes a sticky (non-sealing) mess. Duct tape is okay for a temporary patch to get you home during a trip, but it's not good for a lasting repair.

khaduch

Post by khaduch » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:00 pm

This is a VERY belated post, but big kudos/thank yous to the team at AE. I sent in my outerskin for repair and it came back really really fast. I wanted to actually use it and test it before writing, but I'm sure it will be just fine when I take it on vacation next week. I had always heard that Advanced Elements had a great reputation for customer service, and now I have proof. Thanks again.