boat maintenance

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

raw10128

boat maintenance

Post by raw10128 » Wed May 30, 2007 10:25 pm

I am thinking about cleaning my air frame convertible with some "NRS inflatable boat cleaner" which they states works well on inflatables made of pvc, hypalon, vinly, fibergalss etc. Then I will apply some 303 UV protectant. Has anyone used the NRS boat cleaner before. Does anyone know if it will be ok to use on my kayak.

PJohanson

cleaning

Post by PJohanson » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:21 pm

I clean mine with a terrytowel washcloth dipped in a bucket of water. The terrytowel catches most of the sand that came in on my feet.
I don't use any soap or cleaners. After a year the boat still looks good but no longer smells of new vinyl -- this is good news.

dbibbens

cleaning

Post by dbibbens » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 pm

I take mine out in salt water (Santa Monica Bay) several times a week. It goes in the bag wet. I get it home, re-inflate and stand it up to dry. The sand and salt brushes off when it is dry. So far so good after a month.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Anything that works with PVC or vinyl should be fine. You can even use soft liquid soap. If you are in salt water, you need to make sure the zippers are cleaned off well. Over time the salt water will begin to corrode anything metal. This includes the zippers as well as the aluminum ribs inside the kayak. Zippers can be cleaned off with Zip Care by McNett and the ribs should be wiped off after everycouple of uses. It won't be the end of it if you choose to wait longer.

Jeremy

8)

reubs53715

Salt water makes for destructive salt crystals

Post by reubs53715 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 am

Don't forget that as salt water evaporates it forms salt crystals. Some of these crystals will be visible, and others microscopic. However, it doesn't matter how large or small these crystals are, the important thing to remember is that as the crystals form, their sharp edges will slice through the kayak's canvas fibers on a micro scale, and will eventually shread the canvas little bit by little bit. The best way to avoid this is by thoroughly rinsing your kayak in fresh water after each trip.

Also, beware of putting a salt-water-soaked kayak in your car after a paddling trip. Salt water WILL drip into your vehicle and can severely corrode the cars electrical and mechinacal components.

RC Johnson
Tomball, Texas