Waterproofing Deck Material?

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:44 am

Has anybody had any experince with waterproofing the deck material? I was thinking of using a silicone spray like, "McNett's Thunder Shield Silicone Waterproofing Spray"

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 am

That is exactly what Advanced Elements recommends.

jarome

High Tech 303

Post by jarome » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:02 pm

How about High Tech 303 Fabric Guard which is so highly recommended in marine community??

KayakJack

McNett Thundershield spray.

Post by KayakJack » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Do we spray this while Kayak is inflated or deflated?

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:33 am

I used about a can and a half on my expedition and found that it helps a little bit; but, nothing replaces just leaving out in the sun for awhile after you ride. You could use it, but in my experience it doesn't totally make the water not soak the material. I applied the thundershield on the kayack while it was inflated.

I have paddled hard and put it away wet, only to unpack a day or two later to smell some mildew; however, this goes away in the sunlight. In the future, AE should just make the decking material waterproof, in my opinion.

KayakJack

Re: Waterproofing Deck Material?

Post by KayakJack » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:05 pm

Jimbo,

I noticed your sig says that youre in NY. Im from the NYC area, where are you located? Perhaps, if you're not too far, we can paddle sometime together.
jimbo wrote:I used about a can and a half on my expedition and found that it helps a little bit; but, nothing replaces just leaving out in the sun for awhile after you ride. You could use it, but in my experience it doesn't totally make the water not soak the material. I applied the thundershield on the kayack while it was inflated.

I have paddled hard and put it away wet, only to unpack a day or two later to smell some mildew; however, this goes away in the sunlight. In the future, AE should just make the decking material waterproof, in my opinion.