Airfusion leak =(

Questions, suggestions, answers, products etc. about repairing, cleaning and maintaining your kayak.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

micahgee

Airfusion leak =(

Post by micahgee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:56 am

After using the Airfusion pretty non-stop for a month and a half, I sprung a leak (1cm long) on the bottom right sponson on the bow on the seam. Luckily I had some "Sevylor Seamseal" which has worked well on other inflatables. Its thicker than the Advanced Elements cement and seems to plug the leak! So good infact that a Seamseal has never broken, then again I have never used it at 4.0 PSI before so we will see how it holds up!

I am careful not to over inflate and try to use the same number of pumps every time. 5 pumps for sponsons (bottoms first) and after inflating the thwarts, 5 pumps for each sponson (bottoms first again).

The other issue is the L-shaped tube which connects the sponson to the boston valve has a hole in it. Once again, I Seamsealed it.

I'm hoping that everything goes well but in case I cannot effectively seal the leaks, where can I order another sponson?

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Everything seems to be sealed well and I even half inflated the sponson to see if it was holding air. It appears I have fixed the leaks. However, I am going to let it cure overnight before I fully inflate it.

The Seamseal is very good stuff! I also have Aquaseal and have used that to seal neoprene waders but not high pressure bladders.

I really hope that fixed it!

micahgee

Post by micahgee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 pm

Unfortunately my repair of the little tube failed. However Advanced Elements has offered to send a new one free of charge!

I hope it comes soon, I'm itching to use the Airfusion!!! Now I HAVE to use the Advanced Frame 1 ^_^ not a bad boat at all but doesn't have the feel of the fusion...Time to use the GPS and measure how fast the AF1 is I suppose...

Thank you, Advanced Elements once again =)

Lets just hope the AF1 holds me over until the new sponson and valve comes...otherwise they might have to commit me for Airfusion addiction/withdrawal =))