Bad tracking for 200 pound user

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators:JCOOLEY, rsimpson

BayshoreKayak
Bad tracking for 200 pound user

Post by BayshoreKayak » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:41 pm

My husband and I just bought the AE Sports Inflatable kayak. I am around 135 pounds and it tracks wonderfully for me. My husband, however, who is 200 pounds, sits much lower in the water (at least his seat does) so that when he paddles he tacks side to side, making very slow forward progress. This model is for up to 235 pounds, so we are very disappointed that he is having such a problem with this kayak.

Would it be helpful to put weights in the bow to help weight it down so it doesn’t flop back and forth so much? If so, how much? Has anyone else had this problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Beth
Corvallis, OR

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Re: Bad tracking for 200 pound user

Post by rlpugh1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Beth,
Do you know how much pressure you are putting in the kayak? Is it sagging or flexing at all on him? If so, you need more air in there. Also, as air cools, it contracts. So, if you are airing it up to 2psi (as specified in the manual) on a hot day and then putting the kayak into cool water, the air will contract and the boat will become softer or under inflated.
If you're getting it to the correct pressure and the cool water does not seem to be the issue, you could consider getting a drop-stitch floor or backbone. It should be noted that the maximum capacities of each boat is regulated (and formulated) by the US Coast Guard and they look at it as person+gear, meaning that the max load would be distributed across the boat, not all in one central place.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:46 am

Beth,

I have been in contact through email. I feel we have found the issue. It sounds like the floor was in backwards, which will cause it to not track well.
I believe that correcting the issue along with the other advice given, the kayak will paddle as it is supposed to now.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:31 pm

I'd also suggest that it's possible the bigger 200 pound paddler was using a longer stroke. When you paddle with longer strokes, the kayak might waggle more. Adjusting the stroke to be shorter helps me a lot to track straighter.
To go faster, increase cadence instead of length of stroke!