Explodable Inflatables!

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

JimD

Explodable Inflatables!

Post by JimD » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:00 am

After reading Cindyloos' thread and John's addition, it looks as if over-inflation is more of a problem than I thought. With such low pressures it might not be possible, or perhaps safe, but I was wondering if some sort of pressure relief valve or spring in the main valves would be a good idea? It would need to be able to be sealed properly for use, or slow leaks could be a problem, but if the screw cap wasn't on it could maybe allow venting from overheating?

sonar

Re: Explodable Inflatables!

Post by sonar » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:51 am

JimD wrote:After reading Cindyloos' thread and John's addition, it looks as if over-inflation is more of a problem than I thought. With such low pressures it might not be possible, or perhaps safe, but I was wondering if some sort of pressure relief valve or spring in the main valves would be a good idea? It would need to be able to be sealed properly for use, or slow leaks could be a problem, but if the screw cap wasn't on it could maybe allow venting from overheating?
Yes you can buy these auto relief valves I had some fitted to my Ridged hull inflatable.

But i guess you could fit them to a kayak but if it would work at that pressure I just don't know. Thinking now i am sure they were set at a known value for the RHIBS there are designed for.

But I agree yes it is possible but i guess it comes at an additional cost when made by whom ever makes them.

Personally I would have paid extra for them as an optional extra..

Just had a funny thought now. exploding tents.?? :lol: :lol:

The reason I say this is there is now a type of inflatable tent on the market.
Instead of rods or poles they use Bladders much like the A.F. Kayaks

And i would have thought they will soon be the latest fad.
Along with

Blow up chairs / beds / canoes / kayaks /tents / and many other items.

You can just picture a heat wave on a camp site.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:28 pm

The check valve you seem to be discussing won't work in low pressures such as these. Over inflating isn't that much of an issue. Fill the kayak to the proper amount (just firm), judge the heat of the day and release a little air as necessary. Not very difficult.

cindyloos

Post by cindyloos » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:12 pm

We had a pump w/ a gauge for about 3 inflations before it tumbled out of the back of the car and landed face down. No more gauge. But we had learned what proper air pressure felt like. Unfortunately, my brother who is a bicycler goes by a different feel. I'm getting another gauge.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 pm

I understand. My bike tires take 95 psi. That would explain why he over inflated them. However I think the feel method is better. My gauge broke after a few days. I guess I'm used to the feel of it.