Scamper 2 outer shell leak help

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

Jordankayak

Scamper 2 outer shell leak help

Post by Jordankayak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi everyone!
Hope someone can help me out here- I bought a scamper ii a couple years back and it's been great, it's the first kayak I ever had and I really like being able to get out on the water and carry it in on my back. Only problem is this:
When I am paddling, after about 20 or 30 minutes, the boat starts to fill with water. It floats fine, but there is some kind of leak in the shell. I can't find it and I have tried everything. I put waterproofing tape on the inside along all the seams, put aquaseal along the edges, looked everywhere, and even ordered a new shell for 80 bucks from AE to go around my inner tube- but that one started leaking too!!!!! So i haven't ordered a new one because I'm afraid it will just be a waste of money. Now I usually just use a plastic crate to sit on so I can keep out of the water.
Does anyone have an idea of what I can do? The "put soapy water on and watch for bubbles" idea doesn't work because the leaking part doesn't hold air...
Thanks a lot!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 am

How much water?
It is natural to have some water come off the paddles and into the kayak.
If you are paddling in rough conditions, it is also natural to end up with water in the kayak.
If you feel there is a leak in the outer shell, here is a way to test it.

1. Take out the inside of the kayak so all you have left is the outer shell.
2. Fill the outer shell with water and see where it is leaking from. You can move the shell around to make sure the water hits all areas.

Jordankayak

Post by Jordankayak » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi it's definitely more than would come off the paddles. It gets trapped under the floorboard thing and then overflows onto the floor in back. yeah I did that but it kind of ran off in a nonspecific way out of the seams...
I put aquaseal and waterproofing tape on it all along the seams but no luck

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:43 pm

The perimeter seam for the outer cover is Electronically welded. A mesh lining is then stitched around. This is the transition between the top material and bottom material. Typically when water comes in through the perimeter seam it is caused by one thing. The kayak was inflated over the recommended pressure or left in the sun to expand beyond recommended pressure. Not to say this is what has happened but is almost always the case. This can stretch the seam over time causing small pinholes where the mesh is stitched. What then happens is the kayak pressure will adjust when it hits the water and the seam line can start dipping in the water instead of staying above it like it is supposed to do. Water then has access to the pinholes to leak in.
To help find a solution to the issue, please contact our customer service department
info@advancedelements.com

Jordankayak

Post by Jordankayak » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:12 pm

ok thanks, i'll write to that address.

Jordankayak

scamper 2 leaks

Post by Jordankayak » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:18 pm

hi, still having problems with water getting in the scamper 2... it seems to really build up fast... i hear a gurgling sound as i'm moving through the water, but i can't figure out where the water is coming in. i wish i could get some advice to deal with it :(
i'm a big fan of the scamper 2, i've tried other kayaks but i don't like any of them as much. the problem is i always get wet in there after a little while and i haven't gotten a satisfactory response from west marine or from advanced elements other than just the suggestion to buy a new outer shell, which i've done, or just buy a whole new scamper 2, which i did and am now still having the same problems... any ideas?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Are you paddling solo or tandem.
If solo, where are you sitting in the kayak?
How much weight is in the kayak.
When inflated, if you pick up the kayak from either end, does it bend or "taco" in the middle?

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Baffling!
Could you get a friend to take a photo of you in the kayak, floating? Maybe the photo will tell JCooley what to recommend.

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:21 pm

I am working with Jordan to resolve his situation.