AE3011 Backpack's shoulder straps uncomfortable

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

vsj

AE3011 Backpack's shoulder straps uncomfortable

Post by vsj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:23 am

I've got the AE3011 Kayakpack backpack. The shoulder straps are pulling the zipper towards my neck, which is rather annoying and uncomfortable when having to walk or cycle with the kayak on my back.

The problem somewhat lessens the more tightly the backpack is packed but with the usual load of the AF1, backbone, paddle and pump there's just too much free space and the top of the backpack where the straps are connected is loose.

I've tried different packing techniques and for example inflating the floor inside the backpack to make it more rigid but it's not helping much. I don't want to stuff unnecessary things (that I'd have to leave unprotected while paddling or load on the kayak too) in there just to make it more comfortable. I've thought about adding some kind of metallic reinforcements inside.

Suggestions?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:30 am

That is interesting. First time we have heard of this issue since the pack was introduced. I can see where it could be irritating. The design team will take a look at it and see where it can be improved and what solution can help with the current product.
Thank you for the information.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Could you take a piece of soft cloth, such as flannel or polarfleece, and wrap it around the top of the shoulder straps? Pin a safety pin or two carefully to hold it in place. This could make a soft cushion between the rough zipper and your neck.