Numb Feet AdvancedFrame

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

smokedogg

Numb Feet AdvancedFrame

Post by smokedogg » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:29 am

Hello,

I recently bought myself an AdvancedFrame, for some flatwater kayaking. I've been using it 5 times now.

After around 15 minutes my feet (sometimes right/left, sometimes both) starts feeling numb. An hour in to the trip the pain is unbearable and I must "abandon ship". So far I've tried with a extra pillow and tried sailing without shoes/socks but the numbness still returns. Whatever I do while I'm in the AF (different positions etc.), the numbness is impossible to cure. I'm 178cm/83kg, so shouldn't be a problem with the size.

What can I do?

Jaygee

Post by Jaygee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Are you paddling with your legs completely straight? Try putting something in the front of the kayak to use as a foot brace and paddle with your knees slightly bent.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:47 pm

I have done a lot of reading about kayaking over the past year, and have read about people having this problem. It is not something unique to AE kayaks. I would first try what Jaygee suggested about the foot support. I finally had my first fully enjoyable and completely comfortable trip in my kayak because I finally had a good foot support to push on.

Some of the stories that I have read about require the people to purchase a special seat (cushion with lumbar support). AE sells a lumbar support seat that may be the cure for you. If you are thinking about purchasing another seat, I would ask a lot of questions, go to the websites that have customer reviews and do some general searching (google) about this problem and what others have done to cure it.

From what I have read, the problem is solvable. I have read about people who have had major back surgery comfortably spending a day paddling in their kayaks, so I sure your answer is out there.

Daddy-O

smokedogg

Post by smokedogg » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks for your input. I actually think the problem is caused by what is descriped here as Short posterior leg.

http://www.tumtum.com/kayak/equipment/K ... fort.shtml

When I think about it my legs are never stretched as they are in the kayak.

As mentioned: It's common for people to spend their time sitting or standing, which only require moderate strech from the back of the leg. Sitting in a kayak with straight legs and bent waist requires much more strech in the back of the leg. If the tissue is tight it will soon get uncomfortable.

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I'll try to work with it and hopefully it will get better. Although I can't bring my kayak to the office everyday. :)

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Try rolling up a towel, or putting a short piece cut from a water noodle toy under your knees or thighs to bring your knees up.
Also, I'm more likely to get a toe or two fall asleep if I'm barefoot or wearing flexible sole neoprene paddle shoes on a firm foot brace. We shoe-wearing Westerners seem to like a rigid sole, so I wear Teva sandals for the support.

smokedogg

Post by smokedogg » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 pm

It really makes me wonder, why AE didn't install a foot brace in the kayak. It feels weird, having nothing to rest your feet on.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:52 pm

smokedogg wrote:It really makes me wonder, why AE didn't install a foot brace in the kayak. It feels weird, having nothing to rest your feet on.
I agree. There is no doubt that the kayaks should be shipped with proper foot bracing since they cannot/should not be used without it and it is actually part of the kayak (or should be in my opinion).
Daddy-O

slurch

Post by slurch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:50 am

:( Come on AE why no foot rests in your kayaks, they are clearly needed wanted.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 am

I've tried the AdvancedFrame10.5 as well as the Dragonfly(now Lagoon) and the Expedition. I think there's a reason there is a foot brace only in the Expedition: it's the only one long enough.
For the other two, my friends and I have always improvised a foot brace with a dry bag. The tallest paddlers press their feet against the bow, and a brace would only get in the way.
A dry bag is a good thing to have for other reasons, too. These roll-top bags are handy for making a "dunk bag" of gear needed if a paddler goes into the water or has a small mishap. Tie a cord from the bag to something on the kayak, so if you flip the bag won't sink and be lostl.
A foot brace is needed, and this is the way my friends and I make one that suits our needs in these kayaks.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:39 am

Most people can reach and push their feet against the front of the kayak in the ADvanced Frame. For those that are a little bit shorter, the seat can be moved forward a bit to reach. Others prefer that their feet do not touch the front or anything at all. We need to try to appeal to the everyone. If we put a foot brace in the Advanced Frame, it would significantly shorten the inside of the kayak and only allow enough space for those who are shorter than 5' 10" to paddle it. What will happen is the taller people will have their knees bent up so much they will be popping out of the cover. I already paddle with my knees bent, not only because I am tall, but because it gives me a better stroke and is the most comfortable for me. If I had to bend my knees any further, They would be pressed very hard against the cover and would eventually rub raw. That wouldn't be very fun. For those who do want a brace to push on, Paula mentioned a dry bag or something of that sort. Many people use this option because you are storing gear plus it acts as a foot brace. Advanced Elements also does have an inflatable foot brace accessory that fits perfectly into the bow of the kayak. It has a nice flat, abrasive surface to push against. It also works in the Dragonfly, Lagoon and Convertible models. The Expedition comes with a foot brace because it is so long that even tall people could not possiby reach the very front. One problem that people face is that they paddle with their shoes on. This will cause discomfort. Paddle with some slip on water shoes or, in my case, get in with sandals and take them off and place either behind you or under bungee lacing. We will keep all suggestion in mind though.

Jeremy
8)

smokedogg

Post by smokedogg » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:55 pm

That being said, I cannot underline how easy it has been for me to start my kayaking career. My longest paddle was around 18km straight, although I did have some leg/foot pain. But the joy of sailing compensated. :)

I'm gonna go with the idea of constructing some kind of seat with knee and foot support included.

eddie

Post by eddie » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:04 am

Hi, I hope this is of some use to you. I had the same problem as you,15 minutes in the tingling starts, 30 minutes Im in agony. It got so bad I thought of giving up kayaking, then I changed my footwear. I was using neoprene boots which were okay for a little while but offer no real support. The sole is too thin and I dont even need to talk about the heels. On a hunch I tried a pair of lace up walking boots I have, very thick rubber sole and good padded heel support and what a difference! Re-adjusted my foot braces and I went from agony in 30 minutes to 7 hours paddling without a bit of discomfort! Now my paddling is so much more fun. Im very much a novice at paddling, but this worked for me, hope it helps.