Lost valve cover

Problems with your kayak? Tracking to one side over the other? Taking on water? Losing Air? Post your questions, suggestions and answers here regarding issues with the kayaks.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

krystofr

Lost valve cover

Post by krystofr » Wed May 05, 2010 3:32 pm

I seem to have lost the threaded plastic valve cover (chamber 2) after the thin plastic string it hangs from broke. Is this something that's completely necessary? Is there a way to replace it?

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:33 pm

I assume you are talking about the valve cap on chamber 1 and 2. They are not entirely necessary but its better to have them to keep the valves clean from salt and dirt. In time they will leak.

I intentionally broke the plastic "cord" on mine because they made it difficult to turn the caps on. And, sometimes I do forget to put the caps on and have had no problems. However, as I said, in time if they get dirty they will leak.

Advanced Elements sells these direct. If you go the AE website under Products, the Replacement Parts. Its called the "Valve Locking Nut". Its the nut and the cap for $3.00.

krystofr

Post by krystofr » Thu May 06, 2010 4:44 am

Thanks for the tip! I was able to find the nut, but like yours, it's no longer able to "dangle" and I'm worried about losing it. Is there a way I can reconnect it somehow?

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Thu May 06, 2010 5:53 am

Drill a little hole in the wings of the nut and use a small cord to keep it together.