Valve stuck in deflate Convertible model

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

syl1983

Valve stuck in deflate Convertible model

Post by syl1983 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:15 am

By the way, not sure if anyone can help me with this, but I bought my kayak used and one of the valves appear to be stuck in the 'deflate' position. I have been unable to twist it back out. I am still able to inflate it but it is a pain because the ar leaks out right away until i'm able to screw the top on properly.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:37 am

There are two reasons the valve is stuck in the deflate position.
1. The back of the valve is hung up with the membrane that is in the tube.
2. The valve stem is bent or broken.

If 1. Start to pump air into the valve that is open in the deflate position. This will push the membrane away from the back of the valve and you should be able to then close the valve by pushing down and twisting.

If 2. There is nothing you can really do. Once a stem is bent or broken, it's done. Only option is to replace the entire tube or only have the cap on the valve.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Don't despair about the valve! It might not be jammed permanently.
Put a little air into the chamber, less than half full. Ignore the air hissing out for a minute, and hold the part of the boat with the valve off the ground, so when you're pressing you do not press the inside bottom of the valve hard against the membrane and the ground. I pulled my boat onto my lap at this point with one hand cupped under the hull under the valve.
NOW try to press and turn the valve. It will be able to turn more freely than when the boat is deflated and you're pressing hard enough to feel the ground. This helped me loosen a valve that was getting stiff.
If you want to try to lube the valve use only one tiny drop of a good silicone lube -- more is not better. Don't use WD40. I don't think lube will help.
A stuck valve is not a big problem. The cap is very good at closing the outer part of the valve. You will lose only a couple of pump strokes of air before you put on the cap.