Inflation

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Ed_Nebraska

Inflation

Post by Ed_Nebraska » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:05 am

What is the best way to judge whether the floor of my Strait Edge 2 Kayak is inflated correctly. Initially, I used a pump with no pressure gauge and inflated until I could still touch the base of the boat with moderate pressure. The performance was really sluggish.

I purchased a AE pump with a pressure gauge and I have been putting 1psi of pressure into it. This made the chambers feel fairly firm but not as firm as the main chambers. I could not touch the bottom of the boat by pushing down though. The performance after this was great and the kayak travelled much faster.

I just read though that the pressure gauge does not work with the Boston values.

Are the floor chambers of the Strait Edge kayaks at a great risk from over inflation or does this apply more to the other kayaks?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:20 am

The floors are always at risk of overinflation but it sounds as though you inflated it correctlt the second time around with the gauge. In the Straight Edge, you shouldn't be able to apply moderate pressure and touch the bottom. This procedure is for the Advanced Frames and Dragonflies. The Straight Edge floor should be fairly firm. If you sit on it and feel like you sink into it quite a bit, then you probably need mor air in it. It should fill out the cover it is in pretty good to where there isn't a whole lot of wrinkle to it.

Jeremy
8)

Ed_Nebraska

Inflation

Post by Ed_Nebraska » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks! I like the performance much better with more air inside of the floor.

silvagabe

AE pump with guage

Post by silvagabe » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:35 am

I was just wondering where I can get a AE pump with the guage?
What are the stores that sell Advanced Elements accessories in USA?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:25 pm

There are several dealers that carry the pump. It will mostly be easier to find online than in an actual store.

Jeremy

silvagabe

pump

Post by silvagabe » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:03 am

I was just wondering if you know any of the store names that carry the pump?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 am

It depends on where you live. You can check our dealer locater on our website or if you are looking to buy it online, go to www.airkayaks.com

Jeremy

lowrider

Post by lowrider » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:06 am

I bought a dual action pump from Academy sports for $7.99 that dose a great job.
Pumps the main chamber up in 2 minutes. I would like to get a gage to put on this bump.
Any ideas on where to get just the gage?

RikG

gauge

Post by RikG » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:47 pm

I use a gauge from blood pressure monitor which I bought on ebay for 10 bacs. It works perfect, and has own pump and the valve which allow to add air or deflate.