DF2 - Inflators to take with you on day trips

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

squinius

DF2 - Inflators to take with you on day trips

Post by squinius » Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 am

I was wondering waht people generally do regarding inflators if they are going on a day trip in something like a DF2. I use a stirrup pump to inflate initially, but what happens is you get a puncture that needs an emergency repair when you're a couple of hours downstream? The repair kit itself is portable, but are there suitably portable pumps that I could stow in/on a DF2?

Thanks

Sq.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed May 20, 2009 10:36 am

A Bellows foot pump is pretty handy and not too bulky to store. You can also look into getting TearAid which is a self adhesive patch That adheres 50% when initially applied and then 100% after a couple of hours.

Jeremy

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Wed May 27, 2009 8:55 pm

I have a bellows foot pump that came with my Dragonfly when I bought it from West Marine. For inflating the kayak I use a doublestroke pump instead, but it's bigger than I want to carry on deck. When going on long outings I tuck the foot pump inside the front of the kayak to be a foot brace. Never needed to use a pump for emergency re-inflation yet, but it's nice to be prepared.

borisf

Post by borisf » Thu May 28, 2009 12:06 pm

One must have any pump on board (the foot pump is OK) even because of temperature variation during the day and when in water and when in the sun during the rest. You have to deflate kayak on hot sun and then to INFLATE it (though a little bit) when again into water and closer to night. So you obviously need to have a small and simple pump on board. Not to mention a puncture, which also can be happen, alas!

A very useful discussion on this topic was already done at this Forum http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=388

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu May 28, 2009 2:19 pm

Something else to keep in mind is that inflating these kayaks to 100% full is not essential. On hot days, it's not a good idea, after all. But even on cool days, the models I've tried have worked when less than full.
Oh, they work BETTER when 95% full, that's for sure. The air compartments fill out the hulls nice and taut, and there's a little more glide per stroke. But when the kayak is not fully inflated it will still float and work reasonably well.
This has kept me from getting frustrated when my pump broke one day when I really would rather have put another dozen strokes of air into the kayak. (still had the foot pump as a back-up)
This could also be the source of frustration if someone isn't filling one or more of the air compartments full enough, leading to a crooked look to the boat, or having it bend like a taco.