AE Floor and Backbone

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

dspid2404

AE Floor and Backbone

Post by dspid2404 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:21 pm

I have an AE1009 and the backbone option. I highly recommend the backbone to all users. It makes the kayak track better and feel much more secure in a choppy ocean. My question is this - I'm never quite sure if the inflatable floor is positioned correctly and worried that the backbone may tear the inflatable floor when all is inflated. Can this happen? Does it matter if the floor is curled on the ends? And, does it have to be under the main "tubes" on the ends? If not, would the floor for an AF be just as good. I know it would be easier to put in. I am sure I am missing information on the complete function of the floor. Please advise. Thanks much.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:04 am

The Backbone is padded and it won't rip the floor. It is okay that the ends of the floor are curled. The ends should be tucked under the lip of the backbone where the blades closest to the shaft are. The blade curves up right there and that is where you can tuck the ends of the floor under. It won't damage the floor. Typically the only thing will damage it is puncturing it or over inflating it.

Jeremy
8)