Removing pump while inflating

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Heatsynk

Removing pump while inflating

Post by Heatsynk » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:00 am

I have a question about inflating, and i am not sure if i am missing something simple here. with the spring valve, after you pumped it up to the right pressure, is there a way to remove the hose without losing air? currently, i take the hose off, and quickly try to rotate the center stem, but if i don't do it fast enough i lose too much air, and have to start over.

Thank you,
Peter

krystofr

Post by krystofr » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:45 pm

You are inflating it with the valve in the "deflate" position. Read your manual. You need to push the valve in and rotate until it is extended - the "inflate" position. Now when you pump, the air will stay inside. Then when you push the valve in, you can rotate it the other way to the deflate position. There should be a diagram in your manual that illustrates this.

Heatsynk

Post by Heatsynk » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try. I read the manual and all, but when I rotate it counter clockwise it only seems to go a turn or 2 and locks into position, but doesn't hold the air in. how many turns does it typically take to extend into the inflate position?

thanks,
peter

krystofr

Post by krystofr » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:36 pm

It's not even one complete turn - you just turn it enough so that it either stays in (for deflation) or pops out (for inflation).