deflation

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Freddy P

deflation

Post by Freddy P » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:45 pm

I had my AF kayak out for the first time today. The inflation was easy. My problem was getting it deflated enough, so that I could get it back into the bag. I have a foot pump which I put on deflate but it couldn`t seem to get all the air out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Fred

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:26 am

Well the plastic double stroke pump works best but with that said all you need to do is once you have it folded in half lengthwise, walk on it. Make sure you have the end stiffeners out first and tread lightly where the valves are and stay off the aluminum supports in the end. Just walk back and forth until the air is discharged. Then fold in as shown in the manual and sit on it one last time. That should do it. Make sure the surface is flat and not rocky. That is kind of a given. I only use the pump in the deflate position for the floor.

But lets hear from Jeremy first. Jeremy (JCOOLEY) is this correct? Or is there a better way?

Freddy P

Post by Freddy P » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:35 pm

thank you for your suggestions. hopefully Jeremy will give his thoughts as well

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:34 pm

The main problem with getting air out, is the floor. I have the AE Expedition and all I do is open all the valves, but I do have an electric pump for the floor. As long as the air is out of the floor, the kayak can be folded and put into the bag with ease.

You can buy a Coleman battery powered pump, which will suck the air out easily. Even with the double action hand pump, you have to pump slowly to get the air out of the floor. The electric pump does it in about a 30 seconds!

The foot pump seems great at pumping up, but not so good at pumping out as you are waiting for the pump to spring back open to create the vacuum.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend taking the ribs out and walking on the kayak. Sooner or later you may puncture the kayak with something underneath or left inside the yak.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:58 am

I definately would not walk on the kayak because if there is something sharp underneath that you did not notice, it could possibly puncture. Plus, if walking on it, you are putting all your weight in a small area that could damage the kayak somehow. Depending on how much time I have, depends on how I deflate.
1. plenty of time to hang around: I just open all the valves and let the air seep out. After about 15-20 minutes I will simply fold the kayak starting by folding it half lengthwise and then I will fold over from the front so that it pushes remaining air towards the back and out the valves.
2. In a rush: I will put my pump in deflate mode and suck the air out. When most the air is out, it sometimes becomes difficult to get anymore out. This is because you are now sucking the tube into the back of the valve. Pull the valve away to free up the underside and you should be able to suck more out.
I have immediately deflated the kayak and folded it up right away without suck the air out by using the first method and I am still able to get it back into the bag no problem. One of the keys is to make sure that it is folded up correctly. Last week I worked on some videos for folding each kayak as well as some other common questions. We will have these up on the site shortly after I am done editing them.

Jeremy
8)

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Well FreddyP, I guess I gave you some lousy advise. Sorry about that. Both of their points are valid so I guess I will change my methods as well. I typically fold my kayak on concrete, a plastic floating pontoon, or a wooden dock so typically there is no problem but they are right. It only takes one sharp item only one time to cause a problem. I did however say wait for their advise so give me credit on that one. I know I'm reaching. Later.

Freddy P

Post by Freddy P » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:58 pm

No problem. I appreciate the advice anyway

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:39 pm

For getting all the air out, check the valves that have a pop-up center. The pop-up part sticks up for inflation. To deflate, press the pop-up part in and turn it about a half turn.