HELP:Twist valves and Chambers 6&7 Inflation problems

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:19 pm

I am twist valve challenged... especially for chanmbers 6&7 in the Advanced Frame manual (single). I have the AE pump with pressure gauge.. When I try these to inflate the twist valves, when I stop pumping, I start to lose air.. It seems like you have to keep pressure on the pump downstroke and try to twist the valve closed at the same time.. I only have 2 hands and the pump fittings popped off from the valve..

I spent 5 mins blowing up the main compartments (spring valves) but an hour trying to inflate those dumb twist valves.. I never did get 6&7 inflated properly.. Do I need those?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Something isn't right. When you pump and stop your pump should hold the air enough to be able to turn the valves closed (with the hose still attached) and lose only a very small amount. I think there is something wrong with your pump. I have an Expedition, which is larger than yours and it takes 27 pumps in one of the main tubes and 27 in the other and that is it. It takes maybe 3 minutes. If it takes 5 minutes you have another problem. I suspect the pump is leaking air from one side of the seal to the other. You might want to contact Advanced Elements.

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:10 am

Your reply makes sense.. Since you dont have the same kayak as me, it seems as if 6&7 are wedged in between the top cover and the inflated sides so they seem to need more force to inflate.. Maybe I will try to inflate those prior to completing the inflation of the main compartments 1 &2 and see what happens...

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 am

What color are the twist valves and what attachment on your pump are you using?

jeremy

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 am

The twist valves have a clear tube and then a blue twist valve..

For blowing up the kayak I find that I only use 2 of the attachments, one for the spring valve and one for the twist valve.

The part that keeps popping off is where the attachment joins the pump. (You have to insert it then turn it for the little notch to hold.) The attachment stays on the twist valve ok.

Im having the most problem with compartments 6&7. They are the last I blow up and those compartments seem to be squished between the top of the kayak and the side tubes. thus requiring a bit of pressure to inflate.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:56 am

That explains it. The blue twist valves were on the earlier model from 2002-2005. They are slightly smaller than the current twist valves. We resized them so that they would fit snuggly into the pump attachment. Because the blue ones are smaller, they will leak air from around the seal when you stop pumping. The only way around it is to pump with the one hand and with the other hold the hose to the twist valve and turn it all together to close it. If you visit the replacement parts section on the website the current orange twist valves are available to order. They might be out of stock right now. We have a couple of them laying around. You can contact info@advancedelements.com to order these.

jeremy

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:31 pm

I just bought my kayak from REI last year. It was brand new so it shouldnt be that old. Maybe I can talk to the folks at AE and see if they can help me out..

Thanks for your help

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:00 pm

FYI - JCOOLEY is with AE.

My Expedition is about 2 years old and I have the orange ones. Sounds like REI had some old stock. There are a lot of AE kayaks out there. As Jeremy stated replacing them with the orange ones will stop the leakage with the new pumps.

If your chambers 6 and 7 are the deck lifts, they should only take about a stroke and half of the pump to fill up and it takes no effort.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Yup, chambers 6 and 7 are the little long thin deck lifts.
For inflating my deck lifts in my Expedition and the inflatable coaming in my Dragonfly (older version of the Lagoon) I blow them up by mouth, not using a pump. It only takes one and a half breaths to fill each of these small chambers.
It's much easier to puff up these little chambers by your own breath and twist the valves than to use the pump on them and try to get the valve twisted. And I am a wimp at blowing up balloons, because of an ear problem that means no balance, half-deaf ears, and pain when blowing up balloons. See if it's easier for you to blow them up than to use the pump next time!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 am

What is the Hull ID of the kayak. It starts with XZE and is located on the rear panel of the kayak. The last two digits will tell you what year the kayak is.

Jeremy

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Well thanks to all of you, Ive been able to inflate my kayak in record time. I blew up chambers 4,5,6,7 all with my mouth.. A great suggestion from PJohanson..

Ive only had it out once up til now.. Ill keep you posted on my next voyage.