Valve cap string...

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

MDO

Valve cap string...

Post by MDO » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:16 pm

My husband and I purchased two EA kayaks last year. I got the AF, he got the Expedition. We both love them; I use mine much more often than he does because I am off for the whole summer.

The valve caps that are tethered on with a PVC type of material string have broken off on both my main compartments, and I fear my husbands' will go as well soon...

This is minor, but disappointing. Now I have to be very careful when deflating as where I put them - I nearly lost one last week in lake Superior!

Anyone else has this problem? Any fix - solution would be greatly appreciated.

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 pm

You can replace the plastic tie with chord / string. Tie the chord to the cap, unscrew the hexagonal nut at the valve, pass the chord through and tie a knot large enough so it doesn't pull through.

I haven't used my caps since I bought the yak over a year ago. I use it almost every weekend in the sea! Any sand/dirt that may find its way inside, gets blasted out when you deflate anyway.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:54 am

You can get new caps from the replacement section. They have a string instead of the rubber tether. All newer kayak are also tied with a string. When you remove them from the kayak when you deflate, place them in the mesh pocket on the back of the seat.

Jeremy

MDO

Capless

Post by MDO » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:54 am

I've been going 'cap-less' for the last few outings, all seems well! :D

I will probably try to make up the string though, just to be on the safe side for our long trip! (We are off to MAgdalen Islands next week - and hope to do some ocean paddling!

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:06 pm

I actually cut mine loose because they got it the way. It is easier to put them on when you don't have the "string" in the way. I just made a habit of putting them in the pouch on the back of the seat. But hell thats just me. The valves don't leak without them but they can get dirt or salt in them if you don't put them on when on the water.