Inflation Question

PSI, Proper Technique, Valves etc.

Moderator: JCOOLEY

damben

Inflation Question

Post by damben » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:13 am

I should have included this in my last post but I completely forgot to bring it up... Apologies. When reading the manual (I don't have it in front of me), the instructions were to inflate certain objects to 1 unit of pressure while inflating the main air tube to 2 units of pressure. My air pump has no gauge so I've been simply inflating until I feel resistance from the pump. Is this OK? Is there anyway to tell (beyond touching and air pump resistance) exactly how inflated any of the air tubes are?

Again, thanks for your prompt response last time. You guys have a great company.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:32 am

You can pretty much inflate the main chambers until the pump begins to give you resistance but the floor and smaller chamber need caution. A good rule of thumb for the main chambers is if you can pick up the kayak from either end and it begins to fold or taco in the middle, then it needs more air.
For the floor it should be firm but you should still be able to apply moderate pressure and touch the bottom. If you are going for a stiff floor or rock hard floor, then you will end up over inflating it and blowing a seam.

Jeremy
8)

yitbitw

Post by yitbitw » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Jeremy,
The manual says that chamber 1 and chamber 2 equalize in pressure because they are in fabric cover.

Fabric cover meaning the outer layer of the kayak?

Does this mean I can pump air only through either one of the chambers and inflate the whole body? Also, how can you tell that you are half way from inflating one chamber?

Please let me know.
Thank you.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 pm

It says in the manual
"Chamber 1 and 2 are seperate chambers but equalize in pressure because the are inside a fabric cover."
The fabric cover is the gray cover that surrounds the inflatable tube. It allows the main tube inside to only expand so far.
You can only fully inflate the kayak by inflating both chambers. If you inflate only one chamber, you will not get enough air in it and you also put stress on the membrane that is inside the tube that seperates both chambers. This membrane can then rip at which point then you could inflate the entire tube from either one of the valves.
The way that it works is as follows. There is one main tube that goes around the inside of the kayak. Inside this tube is a membrane that seperates it into two seperate chambers. These chambers are inflated seperately by the outer valve and the inner valve. The outer valve inflates the outer chamber of the tube. When the kayak has begun to take shape, you can stop putting air into chamber 1 and go to chamber 2 which inflates the in chamber of the tube. Pump air into chamber 2 until the kayak is rigid. (if you can pick it up from either end and it folds, bends or tacos, then then there is not enough air in it. You will need to put more in it until it is rigid. You can do this in either chamber.) Now that you have inflated both valves, you will approximately have equal amounts of air in each chamber. The chambers are pushing off of each other creating the whole tube. If you where to let air out of one chamber, then you would not loose air from the other but you will loose pressure because there is no longer air in one of the chambers pushing into the other. The main reason for having two chambers is safety. We could of made it really simple and had only one chamber but if it got punctured, then you would have a deflated kayak. With two chambers, if one gets punctured, the other contains enough air in it to allow you to paddle to safety.

Jeremy
8)

yitbitw wrote:Hi Jeremy,
The manual says that chamber 1 and chamber 2 equalize in pressure because they are in fabric cover.

Fabric cover meaning the outer layer of the kayak?

Does this mean I can pump air only through either one of the chambers and inflate the whole body? Also, how can you tell that you are half way from inflating one chamber?

Please let me know.
Thank you.

PJohanson

Inflation question

Post by PJohanson » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:00 pm

If you are planning to leave the kayak inflated (say, in your garage) you should probably let a little air out of it, in case your garage gets very warm one day and the air inside your kayak expands.
I leave my Dragonfly nearly full of air most of the time, and every second or third day when it comes out of the porch to go to the beach, I pump a little air into it.

yitbitw

Post by yitbitw » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm

Thanks for the kind and detailed reply. :D

One more "inflation" question..

Whenever I pump air through the spring valve (chamber 1 & 2),
I always loose air before I lock the cap (especially chamber 2).
Sometimes I would loose to the point where I need to repump the air (I am not quite there yet..) and it makes me :x

I know that one has to put the nozzle and turn counter-clockwise for inflation,
but it dosn't seem to work for I loose alot of air if I am not fast enough before I put the cap back on.

Is there something that I am missing? Does air alway leak before cap is back in place?
May I have an advice when using spring valve?

Thanks! :o

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:28 am

yitbitw wrote:Thanks for the kind and detailed reply. :D

One more "inflation" question..

Whenever I pump air through the spring valve (chamber 1 & 2),
I always loose air before I lock the cap (especially chamber 2).
Sometimes I would loose to the point where I need to repump the air (I am not quite there yet..) and it makes me :x

I know that one has to put the nozzle and turn counter-clockwise for inflation,
but it dosn't seem to work for I loose alot of air if I am not fast enough before I put the cap back on.

Is there something that I am missing? Does air alway leak before cap is back in place?
May I have an advice when using spring valve?

When you twist the thing in the middle of the valve you must check that it pops up before puming in air , otherwise the valve will not hold the air
Thanks! :o

yitbitw

Post by yitbitw » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:22 am

so the value is designed to hold the air even when is not locked with the cap?? :shock:

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:44 am

yitbitw wrote:so the value is designed to hold the air even when is not locked with the cap?? :shock:

-Yes, but only if the center pice has popped up level with the rest of the valve body

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 am

If air is leaking out after you remove the pump then you have the vlave stem in the deflate position. You can notice the difference between deflate and inflate. In the deflate position the valve stem is supressed down a little. This allows air to come out. When the valve stem is in the inflate position, it will be popped up almost level with the top of the valve opening. It will not allow air to escape. To turn the valve stem you need to push down on it with your finger and turn about a quarter turn to get it to where it needs to be be.

Jeremy
8)

yitbitw

Post by yitbitw » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:49 am

Thanks to you guys, I had awesome time on the river!

Thanks again! :o