Need advice on Expedition vs AdvancedFrame

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

dinesh75

Need advice on Expedition vs AdvancedFrame

Post by dinesh75 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey guys,

I am planning a week long kayak camping trip to Isle Royale National Park. Looking at a few suggestions, I bought the AF convertible yesterday and boy is it heavy!!

Given that wheeled carts are not allowed, and it's just too much for me to carry along with my camping and photography gear, I am planning to purchase a solo kayak.

Now of course, the kayaks that caught my eye are the expedition and AdvancedFrame. Which one should I go for? Which is better in the long run. I believe I will start doing this camping + kayaking thing more frequently, so I need the convenience of light weight plus being able to carry gear. What's the best fit for this requirement?

Thanks.

dspid2404

Post by dspid2404 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:07 pm

dinesh75 - If long trips are in store I would go with the Expedition. It tracks better then the AF, which is important on longer trips. I would suggest also getting the backbone for even better tracking. Storage is also the benefit of the Expedition.

sonar

Post by sonar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 am

We have the AF kayaks
weighing in at 16 kg .
I have had to make a few carry it trips as you said some places don't like trolleys why I just dont know.

I now use a small trolly for short distances and flat pathes and stow it under the back deck. it's very small so I cant see what a problem would be with a small wheeled trolley.

The small trolley is an old skate board and made here http://www.advancedelements.com/phpBB2/ ... php?t=1159

But rough ground and a long distance we use a larger trolley.

Both Kayaks on this one.

If i have to carry one now we just do not bother going if it is a long distance.

dinesh75

thanks

Post by dinesh75 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:40 am

Thanks for the replies. Do you have an idea how much extra storage is in the expedition vs the AF?

Also, what does the weight limit mean? I mean 300 (AF) vs 450 (expedition) mean exactly? I know it doesn't mean that boat floats at 299 lbs and sinks at 301 lbs. So more insight would be helpful.

I do plan to use the kayak everywhere (including lakes, ponds and creeks). So I am looking for the best compromise. Also, longer doesn't necessarily mean distance, just the length of time. I do not plan to kayak more than 5-6 miles in a day....

Thanks!

sonar

Re: thanks

Post by sonar » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:09 am

dinesh75 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Do you have an idea how much extra storage is in the expedition vs the AF?

Also, what does the weight limit mean? I mean 300 (AF) vs 450 (expedition) mean exactly? I know it doesn't mean that boat floats at 299 lbs and sinks at 301 lbs. So more insight would be helpful.

I do plan to use the kayak everywhere (including lakes, ponds and creeks). So I am looking for the best compromise. Also, longer doesn't necessarily mean distance, just the length of time. I do not plan to kayak more than 5-6 miles in a day....

Thanks!
The weight limit is what the maker has tested to a safe weight
Max capacity: 136kg (21 stone). = weight of person and any luggage.
Inside there should be a label this gives the recomended weight for the kayak in question.
We use our AF on rivers lakes and the sea and have no issues with it.
When camping we have been to the weight limit with no Problems.

The Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Expedition Kayak
The AdvancedFrame Expedition is a thirteen foot hybrid of a folding frame kayak and an inflatable kayak. There is plenty of on-board storage room for extended trips. But How much more I do not know.

All Kayaks have very little room in them open canoes have much much more.
But I like the Kayak so much better.
I Used to own a few open canoes both inflatable and grp but this is the best I have found that suits my varied paddling ares.