which kayak for ocean

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

mastana

which kayak for ocean

Post by mastana » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:50 am

Guys
this might be a repeat question.sorry.

which models have the self bailing designs and are good for the sea?

thanks
m

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 am

Depends on the exact conditions and how far you plan on traveling. If you are going long distance then you do not want a self bailer. If you are just messing around in the surf then the StraitEdge models are what you are looking for.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Self-bailing isn't necessarily what you want for kayaking in the sea.
If you're going whitewater kayaking, in surf or in Class 2 rivers, you might want a self-bailing model. The best thing about the StraitEdge and the StraitEdge2 is that you can open or close the little openings that allow the kayak to be self-bailing. (Set them as open or closed when you're inflating the kayak on shore. And you'd better have strong hands like my husband does, because I find it hard to push the plugs back in tightly with my smaller hands.)
If you're paddling on saltwater in sheltered flatwater conditions, you might want an AdvancedFrame 10.5 or an Expedition. The best thing about these models is that they're much more like a hardshell kayak for handling.
Check out some posts on the forum and see what other people are using in conditions like where you want to paddle. And ask your local kayak guides and kayak store owners what they recommend, too! The best bay in my home town for sea kayaking is safe for beginners on a sit-on-top or a sea kayak, but right outside the bay are some dangerous currents that just don't show til you're caught in the current.

sparkyboom

what are you planning for the sea?

Post by sparkyboom » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:35 am

If your carrying overnight cargo (e.g food, tent, sleeping bag and a few gallons of water etc) the expedition will handle it great in the sea.

Even if you have no cargo and going for quick sea adventure the exp. handles it well, a few have said the wind effects its tracking out at sea but i have never noticed anything substantial.

mastana

Post by mastana » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 am

thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay.
so i like the AdvancedFrame for saltwater kayaking.
one question.do i need the skirt and does the skirt manage to keep the water out?

thanks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am

If you are paddling in a lot of spray, the skirt will help keep the water out of the cockpit

mastana

Post by mastana » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 am

thanks.can i know the average retail price for all the models of advanced frame and straitedge?

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 am

price range is $440-$950