Which boat to choose in strong winds and ocean swell?

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

pedroluis

Which boat to choose in strong winds and ocean swell?

Post by pedroluis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 am

Hello,

I need some help to buy the right ae kayak for my situation.

I live at the south coast of Tenerife/Canary Islands. The wind is blowing nearly everyday with 4 to 6 beaufort along the coast and slightly onshore. There is a long ocean swell mit lots of whitecaps.

I plan to go with wind and waves (some kind of downwinding as the surfers say) along the coast for trips of about 10 to 20 miles each and return to the starting point via car or bus. So the surfing abilities of the boat would also be important.

Which boat would be best for these conditiona? I thought about an advanced frame or a straight edge, an advanced frame convertible or a straight edge 2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

pedroluis

pedroluis

Post by pedroluis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 pm

no advice?

I would be so happy about any opinions.

Best regards

pedroluis

ATPringles

Post by ATPringles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 pm

I have no advice for your situation, but I didn't want you to think no one had even read your question. If I were going out I the ocean, I'd use my hard shell sea kayak. But I don't have the brawnier, stronger AE boats, I just have a couple of the small ones. They work great in the protected waters in which I use them. Hopefully someone will come along with a good answer to your question.

Pringles
Last edited by ATPringles on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pseidman

Post by pseidman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:59 pm

I am confident in taking my Expedition into ocean conditions in Northern California, paying attention, of course, to wind, tide and swell conditions. The Convertible certainly would work with decking, but I prefer the more nimble Expedition. If you would prefer an open sit on top, the Straight Edge 2 also would work. I have a Straight Edge (Angler) and I am confident in the ocean. Of all the boats, though, I prefer the Expedition. Just my opinion, based on experience. Hope it help[s.

lee johnson

Expedition + BackBone + Spray Skirt

Post by lee johnson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I have been in unruly seas and can attest that the Expedition is a safe and seaworthy watercraft. In fact, I would put it up against my 17'6" hard-shell sea kayak. The primary stability of the Expedition greatly exceeds that of the hard-shell, and I have done a couple of rescues (of sailboaters and kite-boarders in high winds and seas) that worked better with the Expedition than they would have with the less stable hard-shell. In both cases, though, one should use a spray skirt. The Expedition's spray skirt stays on securely if the BackBone is in place, to prevent longitudinal flexing that could pop the spray skirt off the coaming. The BackBone also increases hull speed and seaworthiness. So, to make a long story short, the Expedition is a fine sea kayak. The Convertible would also work well, again with a BackBone. The Dropstitch floor is also a good idea but does not track as well as a BackBone does; hence, my preference for the BackBone out at sea.

lee johnson

Expedition + BackBone + Spray Skirt

Post by lee johnson » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I have been in unruly seas and can attest that the Expedition is a safe and seaworthy watercraft. In fact, I would put it up against my 17'6" hard-shell sea kayak. The primary stability of the Expedition greatly exceeds that of the hard-shell, and I have done a couple of rescues (of sailboaters and kite-boarders in high winds and seas) that worked better with the Expedition than they would have with the less stable hard-shell. In both cases, though, one should use a spray skirt. The Expedition's spray skirt stays on securely if the BackBone is in place, to prevent longitudinal flexing that could pop the spray skirt off the coaming. The BackBone also increases hull speed and seaworthiness. So, to make a long story short, the Expedition is a fine sea kayak. The Convertible would also work well, again with a BackBone. The Dropstitch floor is also a good idea but does not track as well as a BackBone does; hence, my preference for the BackBone out at sea.