Which kayak is best for me, lagoon1, AF or AF expedition

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

Mango

Which kayak is best for me, lagoon1, AF or AF expedition

Post by Mango » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:14 am

Hello,
I think Ive decided to get a kayak from advanced elements but I'm having trouble figuring out which one would be the best for me.

I'm very new to the sport. Basically I went kayaking in a hardshell down a river a few years ago and loved it, so now I want to pick up kayaking as my outdoor sport.

I'm 5'11/6 ft tall 140 pounds. I think I would like my legs straight in the kayak. Would the Lagoon or Advanced from be long enough for me to have straight legs?

I've read a lot about tracking and stuff. Is that a factor for a new person like me?

Thanks

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 am

How big is your shoe size? I know a couple of 6 foot tall men with size 11 feet who can fit into a Lagoon. Their legs are bent just a little and to them the kayak feels like a playboat for riverboating. My spouse is 5'10" and has used my Lagoon without any trouble.
I know two men who are 6'3" with size 13 shoes, and they don't fit into my kayak (which is an older version of the Lagoon). Their feet have to be pointed, and their knees bent too much to fit comfortably under the deck.

You'll be able to have absolutely straight legs in either the AdvancedFrame or the Expedition.

The choice of which model depends on where you plan to paddle, and whether weight is the most important factor. Based on your height, you might find the AdvancedFrame or the Expedition to be the most useful kayak for paddling on sheltered lakes, rivers of up to Class 1 rapids, or sea kayaking with friends. The Expedition has more room for fishing gear or camping. The AdvancedFrame keeps up with 12-foot recreational hardshell kayaks, and it's lighter.
If you're going to be carrying your kayak a long way down a trail, the Lagoon is a good choice as it is light. While I use my Lagoon a lot and in many different places & conditions, you are taller and stronger and might be able to carry the AdvancedFrame as I carry the smaller model.

Bottom line: you can fit any of these models. Try one at a paddlefest or a kayak store if you can.