Best Kayak for 2 young kids

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

paulkleine

Best Kayak for 2 young kids

Post by paulkleine » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:03 pm

I am an experienced sailor and small boat person, but have no experience whatsoever with kayaks. We have two girls - ages 9 and 7 for whom we would like to buy kayaks to use on vacations or around our marina. I'm most concerend about stability - I would like to feel secure that if they are in a boat together in calm water, it will be hard for them to tip it over(actually darn near impossible would be nice). We currently have 10' traditional inflatable tender which is almost impossible for them to row effectively (not to mention that they have to face backwards to row).

Would the convertable be a practical solution for two young girls? I like the idea that I could use it by myself or with one (or perhaps both) kids.

Is the Dragonfly intended for use by small kids? Will I be constantly having to remind them not to lean to one side?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

PJohanson

Your experience may vary

Post by PJohanson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:03 pm

I think the best thing to do with your two kids is to take them to the local paddle store's free trial day.
All our local stores have them, so I'm betting yours does too.
Go to the store and ask if they let people try a couple kayaks. One local store owner goes every summer Tuesday evening to a nearby lake with a half-dozen kayaks on his trailer. I got to paddle each boat, and see how different they all felt.
There may be a local Paddlefest with dozens of boats on the beach for people to try.
The models I recommend for kids to paddle around in quiet, sheltered waters are:
-the AE Dragonfly (cheapest, lightest, most storable)
-the Enigma (light hard thermoformed plastic -- check http://www.lightspeedkayaks.com/kayaks/enigma.html )
-the Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100 or Pungo (tough, rotomolded plastic)
I've paddled all these boats with kids and had fun.

Instead of warning the kids not to lean, practise leaning over to fall out on purpose, in safe conditions. Their muscles will learn what falling out feels like. It will be rough, fun play to scramble back in, bail out the boat, and help each other be "rescued." Safety practice is the best preparation for real accidents.
(Of course, everyone in your family will wear PFDs, right?)

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:45 am

My 10 year old son uses a Dragonfly 2. We usually have camping gear up front, helping it track. He has no problem manuevering it and enjoys the fact he can step into the front and exit easily without getting wet.

It is virtually impossible to overturn.

I initially used it, albeit briefly, before going to the AF Expedition. I'm 5' 10", over 200 lbs. and it was comfortable for me as well.

Very versatile kayak. 8)

Ed_Nebraska

Strait Edge 2

Post by Ed_Nebraska » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:23 pm

We bought a Strait Edge 2 kayak this year and we have been impressed with how stable it is. We have taken it out on lakes where boats have zoomed past and it handled the resulting waves really well. I have not felt like we were going to tip on any of the trips that we have taken.

I also like the versatility of this boat. We have used it for day trips and also over night camping trips. It is also fun to use if you want to swim or relax while out at the lake. Because the boat is open, you can lie out flat in it or have a picnic in the middle and turn the chairs to face each other. I also have found it easy to get into the water to swim and then back in without it getting close to tipping.

dion

Post by dion » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:34 am

good information. thanks a lot. 8)

endlessfighter

Post by endlessfighter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:53 am

I use the dragonfly 2 for my son. He is 10 and cant get it to overturn for anything. Its a nice comfort to have and I am getting a dragonfly 2 for my daughter next month.

declaw cat laser