Strait Edge II or Advance Frame Convertible.

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

DMKayak

Strait Edge II or Advance Frame Convertible.

Post by DMKayak » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 am

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on selecting an inflatable 2 person kayak. I have narrowed it down between the Strait Edge 2 Tandem and the Advance Frame Convertible. I'm going to be using the kayak for and am concerened about:

- Mainly to be used on a small river with family n friends where depths can fluctuate. I'm concered about scraping the bottom on some days. Which boat does better in shallower depths?
- Overall is one more durable than the other?
- Would most likely only be using the boat during the summer months.
- How much better do the upgrade seats for lower lumbar support work?

Thanks for the help!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:40 am

- Mainly to be used on a small river with family n friends where depths can fluctuate. I'm concerned about scraping the bottom on some days. Which boat does better in shallower depths?
The StraitEdge2 sits up higher because it is a sit-on-top kayak. You sit lower in the Convertible therefore may hit bottom a little more.
Overall is one more durable than the other?
The material on the bottom of the Convertible is the same that the StraitEdge2 in entirely made of. So durability is great in both.
Would most likely only be using the boat during the summer months.
Both kayaks are great for summer use. They both have wide open cockpits with the StraitEdge2 being more open since it is a sit-on-top kayak.
How much better do the upgrade seats for lower lumbar support work?
The Lumbar seats only work with the Convertible. They do not have Velcro on the bottom that the StraitEdge2 seats have. You can always add Velcro strips if need be.

All in all you would be happy with either kayak. You can maneuver a little faster in the StraitEdge2 when paddling on rivers because it is slightly shorter and a sit-on-top kayak. It is built for rougher conditions up to Class III. The Convertible is a great all around kayak and is built more for speed and tracking. Great for flat water, up to Class II and coastal paddling. Much better for longer trips where you need space for gear storage.

JimD

Post by JimD » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:37 am

If it's often very shallow, a SoT might give you the advantage of easily being able to plant your feet either side to stand up, and get to the next deep bit of water.
Of course, if you're younger and fitter than I am, you could probably also do that in the convertible, if you didn't have the deck on.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I recommend the StraitEdge2 -- not that I'm dissing the Convertible! But it sounds like the StraitEdge2 would meet your needs. I like how it converts to a single person ride just by clipping one seat in the middle clips!
The StraitEdge2 is very good for recreational paddling. The bottom is tough and can cope with a bump or two, but do not drag it on the ground, even on grass.
For lumbar support, the person in the front can set the seat back so that the person in the back presses his/her feet against the seat. That worked for two of my friends.