Information and Comparison of AE Lagoon 1 To Current Models?

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

sedimentary

Information and Comparison of AE Lagoon 1 To Current Models?

Post by sedimentary » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:27 am

I am curious as to the differences between what must have been an older model Lagoon1 to current model Dragonfly(?) or Firefly(?). What year production would these have been in, and if afforded the opportunity to purchase one new today would it be a prudent purchase or aged materials? Significantly reduced price so it is attractive. Thanks for info.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Lagoon 1 and Lagoon 2

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:20 am

The Lagoon 1 is a special item we have made only this year for REI outlet. It has never been made before. It is an '08 model. It is exactly the same as the Firefly kayak except for the color and the Lagoon comes with a seat whereas the Firefly does not.
The Lagoon 2 is exactly the same as the current Dragonfly2 XC model Except the color and it also comes with a wide open cockpiy whereas the Dragonfly2 XC has a deck that goes over the paddlers.

Jeremy
8)

sedimentary

Post by sedimentary » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:17 pm

I already have a AE Convertible, but would like a smaller and lighter putt-around to go out on lakes on a whim without much prep or breakdown. I am 6' 1", so would I still fit this one or am I pushing the envelope there? Can I also get away with using it in rivers and maybe some Bays or the LI Sound or is that already to much for it? Thanks in advance.

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:40 am

You will fit but will definately have to paddle with your knees slightly bent. I am 6'2" and can paddle it just fine. You can use it in river up to Class II and in bays or the sound as long as conditions are good and you of course follow all safety guidelines. I would refer to alot of the wisdom that Paula Johanson provides in many posts on the forum. She takes her Dragonfly kayak on a lot of trips and it is just a tad bit larger than the Lagoon kayak.

Jeremy
8)

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:27 pm

Jeremy does the Lagoon 2 have the new double air chamber and nylon enclosed side tubes? A friend of mine had a Dragonfly 2 and just sold it mainly because of the non-removable thwart between the paddlers. We both agreed that if only you could remove that thwart, and move the seat more to a middle position, the dragonfly 2 could be a very good boat for camping.

If the Lagoon 2 is basically the current Dragonfly 2 with a wide open cockpit, then it just jumped right up to the top of the list of boats I'm interested in!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:19 pm

The Lagoon2 does have the double chamber and the entire tube is enclosed in the polyester tube cover.

Jeremy
8)

Wasabi

Post by Wasabi » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:48 am

JCOOLEY wrote:The Lagoon2 does have the double chamber and the entire tube is enclosed in the polyester tube cover.

Jeremy
8)
Jeremy,

From the photos on the REI website it appears that the Lagoon 2 has the inflatable floor and thin foam seats, not the foam floor and padded, inflatable seats of the 2008 Dragonfly2 XC? Is that correct?

Also, can the backbone be used on the Lagoon 2?

Thanks!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:35 am

Wasabi wrote:
JCOOLEY wrote:The Lagoon2 does have the double chamber and the entire tube is enclosed in the polyester tube cover.

Jeremy
8)
Jeremy,

From the photos on the REI website it appears that the Lagoon 2 has the inflatable floor and thin foam seats, not the foam floor and padded, inflatable seats of the 2008 Dragonfly2 XC? Is that correct?

Also, can the backbone be used on the Lagoon 2?

Thanks!
The photo that they are showing is a pre-production photo. It does have the foam floor and inflatable padded seats.