advanced frame + dragonfly?

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

river_rat

advanced frame + dragonfly?

Post by river_rat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:07 pm

I've had my Advanced Frame for about a month now and love it. Nashville thankfully has hundreds of miles of rivers and some very large lakes chocked full of mysterious creeks.

Anyway, I'd like to get a second kayak so I can invite people along on my adventures. Any thoughts of a Dragonfly as number two? Can it keep up with the AF? Would the Dragon(flier) be at a huge disadvantage? I know it doesn't have storage room, but other than that. Something in me would like to check it out. Mostly I'm talking about lakes and class I or II (at most) rivers. Is the leg room cramped?

Or shall I just get another AF? It wouldn't be used as much as number one so I'd prefer to spend as little as possible.

Thanks in advance, Richard

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:40 am

If you are fast moving river, you will probably find that the Dragonfly will perform equally or possibly better because it is shorter and has more manuverability. If you are in a slow moving river and.or flat water, the Advanced Frame will perform better because it is longer and tracks straighter. Another option would be to get an Expedition model for yourself and let guests use the shorter Advanced Frame. You can also look around on ebay and craigslist for new and used kayaks that are being sold at a discount.

Jeremy
8)

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:28 pm

I've taken my Dragonfly out with my friend's 10.5 AdvancedFrame and was pretty happy overall. The Dragonfly doesn't have the speed of the 10.5, but if you're not racing on flatwater that may not be a problem. Jeremy's idea of getting an Expedition second-hand is a good one.
Is weight a factor at all in your decision? The Dragonfly weighs only twenty pounds, and is very portable, something that may make all the difference.

river_rat

Thanks - quick follow-up

Post by river_rat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:22 am

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. Quick follow-up question: How about leg-room in the Dragonfly? The AF seems to have plenty, more than enough. I can even have room to put a towel in a plastic bag in the very front. But would I notice the lack of leg room in the Dragonfly?

And yes, weight is a bit of an issue. I'm hopping to check the boat on an upccoming flight to Chincoteague Island. The water there is sort of an inland bay between two islands. The DF would be handy, but can it handle a bay, assuming good weather.

Thanks, Richard

sedimentary

Post by sedimentary » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm

I purchased a dragonfly two weeks ago and have used it three times so far. The first time out it was 20 mph winds and going against an incoming tide on the Hudson. Definitely had to figure out how to paddle it--less powerful stroke, higher angle, and faster. When using too strong of a stroke and lower angle, the dragonfly can be darty. Once you figure out how to finesse this one, it runs relatively quick, and straight.

On a lake on another outing, my friend used it and I used my AE Convertible with my 5 year old up front. Horsing around and playing tag in the boats, the dragonfly is soooo nimble fast and elusive that we had no chance!! I am just shy of 6' 2" with long legs (34" inseam) and I take my Tevas off when in the Dragonfly. It is snug in the length and my legs just fit. There really is no room for cargo except maybe a SMALL bag on the front deck. It is exactly 1/3 the weight of my Convertible which I love dearly, but the Dragonlfly is lighter, faster in the set-up and take-down, and just an all blast to paddle!!! You are one with the boat and it is definitely playtime.

Again, a short session to figure out how to paddle it differently and you are set. Let the other person carry the cargo, or use the Dragonfly for quick short jaunts on a whim!!!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:39 am

I to am 6'2" and can fit fine in the Dragonfly. I do have to paddle with shoes off and I have to paddle with my kness bent, but I prefer this anyways because I can get a better paddle stroke. It is definately a quick fun kayak.

Jeremy
8)

river_rat

Thanks

Post by river_rat » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:49 am

I ordered a Dragonfly yesterday. I look forward to providing a comparison report to the AdvancedFrame.
Richard

billyV

Advance frame and drangonfly on Class 1 rapids

Post by billyV » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:32 pm

I have a new advance frame and my wife has an older dragonfly (that I just purchased on ebay) - some comments on both, before my question - I had a hard shell for 12 years and I really like the AF - tracks like my hardshell - the dragonfly has some real wiggle to it -some weight in the front helps,

Intend to do some fall kayaking on the upper Delaware River some class 1 maybe class 2 rapids - both kayaks can handle this? should I have a spray skirt?

thanks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 am

Spray Skirt would help for two reasons. It will help keep heat inside the kayak on those cold days and most of all, it will help prevent water from getting into the cockpit. Since they are not self bailers and you are paddling in rougher conditions, it will help make a more enjoyable paddling experience.

jeremy