Advanced Frame or the AF Expedition?

Get advice on which kayak may be best for you. Compare the different models. "VS."

Moderator: JCOOLEY

bremenak

Advanced Frame or the AF Expedition?

Post by bremenak » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 pm

I am trying to decide which one I should get. What I will be using the kayak for is going down rivers (small ones, nothing with a rapids) and taking it to some inland lakes, and on the shores of lake Michigan. I am 5'9" tall and weigh about 140-145 pounds Male.

Anyone have experience with both of these? Is there a huge difference in performance and comfort between the two?

Thanks!

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:36 pm

The 10.5 is lighter and may be more convenient to pack in along a hiking trail.
You're about the size of my friend who owns both and paddles both. He likes the Expedition when he's out with friends in bigger sea kayaks, and likes the 10.5 when he's out with friends in short recreational kayaks. I think the shorter boat may be better in Class 1 and Class 2 water.

dutch clouds

Post by dutch clouds » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:00 pm

I tested both with a backbone at Bever Zwerfsport in Almere last week and bought de 13" expedition.

Advantages of the 10" IMO: less bulk and weight and a bit more manouvrable.

Advantages of the expedition over the 10":
It is faster due to length and body shape. The seating position with adjustable footbrace and seat allows for more effective peddling and comfort. Storage space in these boats is smaller than you think and only the expedition will allow you to store camping gear underneath. Remember that the pump and cover need space as well. The expedition also tracks better but this has off course the disadvantage of less manouvrability.

If you, like me, do not own a car, you will have to figure out a way to carry the kayak though. The standard case is no option! I bought a small harnass with waist belt and long enough straps to fit the case.

As I plan to go on weekend trips with 20 to 30 km a day it was a no brainer: the expedition.

Hope this helps.

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 am

Hi,

Don't know where you peddle in the Netherlands, but for daytrips in different waters I want to make the choice as well. I am going op to do a test but some heads up is always nice.

Let's say we're peddling in the Bieschbosch (non-dutch: it's a nature reservation with rivers and small creeks). I would like the expedition when crossing the bigger waters but wouldn't it be hard work in the small creeks?

Also I like to take my camera with me so does the AF leave enough space for drinks, food and a camera along with food?

You mentioned "adjustable footbrace" the expedition has none?

I also read somewhere the story about someone taking a dog in the expedition (zip the front open). Is it really that spacey? What about a little kid?

Thanks

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:43 am

diemonde wrote:Hi,

Let's say we're peddling in the Bieschbosch (non-dutch: it's a nature reservation with rivers and small creeks). I would like the expedition when crossing the bigger waters but wouldn't it be hard work in the small creeks?

Also I like to take my camera with me so does the AF leave enough space for drinks, food and a camera along with food?

You mentioned "adjustable footbrace" the expedition has none?

I also read somewhere the story about someone taking a dog in the expedition (zip the front open). Is it really that spacey? What about a little kid?

Thanks
1. In rougher waters such as rivers where you hitting some rapids, it is usually nicer to have a smaller shorter boat so that you can manuever quicker and easier. If it is a slow moving or smooth river or creek without mcuh rapid action, the Expedition would work fine.

2. The Advanced Frame has enough room for gear for a week. There is space behind the seat as well as bungee lacing on the front deck and D-rings on the back deck.

3. The Expedition comes with an adjustable foot brace because the kayak is longer. The Advanced Frame does not but you can get the Inflatable Foot Brace for it if you need it.

4. People have paddled with their dogs but it is recommended that when paddling the deck remain zipped closed. It also recommended that the kayak be used as intended which means as a solo craft. I would not suggest putting another person in the kayak with you. If you wanted the option to bring someone along then I would look into the Advanced Frame Convertible model.

Jeremy
8)

diemonde

Post by diemonde » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 am

Hi Jeremy,

We the only people active ;-)

1-3. Ok the AF would be better then.

4. It was more for close to beach play. Kids pick me up and want a little go with dad.. So no normal Kayaking. They are to small for that.

Thanks