The New Skeg for the AirFusion

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

lee johnson

The New Skeg for the AirFusion

Post by lee johnson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:15 am

I have tested the new and impressively deep skeg that has been designed specifically for the AirFusion, and it really does a thorough job of making the FUS track and glide as if it were on rails just under the water. My AirFusion now feels just like any old boring hard-shell of a good length. In wild weather, the new skeg would be a great accessory: even in transverse winds, the FUS keeps its course straight - which is particularly impressive when gliding. It would also be a great accessory for those who are still learning how to handle a paddle. Without the skeg, of course, the AirFusion is restored to its incredibly responsive, maneuverable, sports-car feel, with a bit faster hull speed because any skeg or rudder adds "drag" to a kayak. "Skegless" is how experienced paddlers will probably prefer their AirFusions in order to maximize the unique performance of this kayak. It is nevertheless good to have the option of raising or lowering the skeg, as conditions of water and wind change. All in all, this is a thoughtfully designed and effective accessory.

bertel84

Deep skeg

Post by bertel84 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:13 am

Just wondering what the dimensions are on the skeg. I was also wondering when it will be avaliable. Any more info would be nice. thanks alot. :)

lee johnson

Dimensions of Skeg for AirFusion

Post by lee johnson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:07 am

The AirFusion skeg is 20.5" deep (52 cm.) and almost 3" wide (nearly 7.5 cm.). So there is a generous portion under the water, doing all that tracking.

I got mine a couple of months ago from airkayaks.com where the skeg is in stock, although it may be available elsewhere, too - but airkayaks ships anywhere on this watery planet.