Skeg Says "Steady On"

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

lee johnson

Skeg Says "Steady On"

Post by lee johnson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:26 am

Basically, I prefer paddling my AirFusion without using the Skeg, as I prefer paddling my sea kayak without using its rudder. However, when wind and waves come up, these devices become more than ornamental: they are essential to one's safety and enjoyment of the elements. Using them, in both cases, immediately and dramatically improves longitudinal stability and calms down the side-to-side rocking that can be quite unsettling when an unexpected swell or large wave comes by to say "hello"! By contrast, the primary stability of my Expedition is so great that it functions nimbly despite having only a little skeg or fin under its stern: it does not need anything more. It does need a spray-skirt, though, as do all these kayaks, when the wind is up. So, to sum up, to use the AirFusion as a lively sea kayak, it is advisable to get the marvelous Skeg that has been specifically designed for it - and also to put on a spray skirt. How convenient it is that AE's sprayskirts, designed for the Advanced Frame solo kayaks, also perfectly fit the AirFusion because the perimeter of its cockpit is the same.

bradpittshinesmyshoes

Post by bradpittshinesmyshoes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:53 am

How do I get my hands on one of these skegs??

bradpittshinesmyshoes

Post by bradpittshinesmyshoes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 am

Never mind - it's on order!