AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

yvonne

Difficulty joining #1 and #2 together when installing

Post by yvonne » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi,
Recently purchased my AirFusion and love paddling it; compares favourably to my older f/g Current Design 14'6" Pachina. It is very safe to enter when boarding from a steep sided sailboat (one of my main concerns).

My biggest difficulty is installing the #1 and #2 rods in the bottom of the kayak when setting up. I insert the poles as far as I can push them into the stern and bow poles, but they seem too long to get them to connect before sliding over the #3 sleeve. With two of us pushing and groaning and muttering, the only way I could get them to connect was by making a triangle (inverted V) and forcing the poles to slide one into the other. I am afraid I will damage the poles.

Removing the #1 and #2 poles after sliding the #3 sleeve back is just as difficult. In fact, for me, an impossible task single handed. There is not always another person around to help. Two of us tried the same solution, bending the poles up into an inverted V to force them to part.

I have considered trimming perhaps a 1/4" of the length of either #1 or #2 to make the task easier. Some people have commented that the more I use the kayak the more likely it is the poles will become easier to join and that I should not shorten one of the poles.

Has anyone else encountered this much difficulty?

BTW I am in my 60's but fairly athletic and strong. Just lacking hand strength? javascript:emoticon(':?')

Cheers
Yvonne

Tee Loo

Post by Tee Loo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am

Hi Yvonne,

I see you are from Comox! Great. I had my first sea kayak experience there... (Comox Valley Kayaks Ltd)

Pole #1 and #2 are indeed supposed to be a bit tough. These two poles do the stretching of the hull.
I never was able to normally attach the two. I think if it was, it would be too loose!
The V-shape is the way to go. Both pole ends up, against each other and simply push them both down.
Of course if this is hard to do, check the stern and bow frame peaces that they are well in place.
After kayaking it should be easier to go back to V-shape and take them apart as the hull stretched during use.

Tee

rsimpson
Site Admin

Post by rsimpson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 pm

Tee Loo wrote:Hi Yvonne,

I see you are from Comox! Great. I had my first sea kayak experience there... (Comox Valley Kayaks Ltd)

Pole #1 and #2 are indeed supposed to be a bit tough. These two poles do the stretching of the hull.
I never was able to normally attach the two. I think if it was, it would be too loose!
The V-shape is the way to go. Both pole ends up, against each other and simply push them both down.
Of course if this is hard to do, check the stern and bow frame peaces that they are well in place.
After kayaking it should be easier to go back to V-shape and take them apart as the hull stretched during use.

Tee
Good advice TEE.

Also, once you have the #1 and #2 poles pushed down all the way joined together, you may have to slightly pull up or push down on the poles to get the #3 locking sleeve on. There is a sweet spot where the locking sleeve will not feel tight at all and it will slide right into the locking position.

nancybcello

getting 1 and 2 together

Post by nancybcello » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:12 pm

I realize the initial post was written a while ago, but I recently bought myself the Air fusion elite for my birthday and have the same problem. i am 59 and do not have the greatest grip strength. however, my son suggested that I use a soft mallet, slide it along the 1 or 2 pole (depending on when I am setting up or taking down) very gently while holding down the button (my other problem, i use an old spoon!) and this seems to work easily. again, it's a soft mallet and I am just gently taping the edge of 3 sliding down 1 or 2. I can't see where this would to any damage. . . ?

otherwise I this, able to be quite independent with the whole thing , which was my goal!

Kat36

pole problem on airfusion elite

Post by Kat36 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:44 am

I recently bought two AirFusion Elite kayaks. One set up fine, the other was very difficult. When poles 1 and 2 were attached, they were too long for the boat and they bowed and pole 1 deformed slightly. I returned the bad boat to REI and they gave me a replacement. When I set up the replacement, it had the same problem. I measured poles 1 and 2 from the good boat and the bad boat. Pole 2 from the bad boat was a full inch longer than pole 2 from the good boat. So it seems that some of boats are being sold with a pole 2 that is too long. The pressure of too-long pole 2 on pole 1 causes pole 1 too deform and makes moving the sleeve pole impossible.

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi Kat36

Contact AE customer service and they'll get you a replacement pole at the correct length.

info@advancedelements.com or 707-745-9800