Safety/Reliability of AirFusion

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

jamesckeenan

Safety/Reliability of AirFusion

Post by jamesckeenan » Mon May 20, 2013 1:34 pm

I purchased two AirFusions two years ago, and both have been paddled 150 or more times, although they have often been left inflated, so I suspect they have been assembled and disassembled less than 30 or so times each. One now has three problems: one of the inflation tubes has a pinhole leak; the coaming has a pinhole leak; and the #1 and #3 alum-alloy tube ends mysteriously just developed "flanges", which prevent the #3 tube from fitting over the #1 tube. This is certainly nothing that Advanced Elements would advocate, but even with these three problems (the alum-alloy tube problems I just discovered, and I "splinted" them), my AirFusion was perfectly seaworthy (even after the lower port-side inflation tube deflated) and at no time did I feel unsafe on two three-to-four hour river trips last week. I am 5'11 and weigh 185, and the Air Fusion even paddled satisfactorily, although I'm sure it wasn't as pretty on the water as it should be, but then, neither am I. I will order the parts in the next day or so and make the repairs when I get them, although I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the coaming. Advanced Elements has been very helpful via email and has even offered to guide me by phone through removal and re-installation of the inflation tube, but the company has not offered to replace the parts free (presumably because I bought both kayaks from a previous owner rather than from a dealer). This is mildly disappointing, because I have assembled and disassembled both kayaks carefully many times now and feel that the problems are product problems rather than operator problems, but, as I said, AE has been helpful. To give you an idea of how important the AirFusions are to me, I have always been a super-active athlete but am now partially disabled and can no longer run, walk, hike, climb, ride a bike, etc., so the light net weight and relative ease of handling make the AirFusion a godsend to me. The point of this lengthy post is to reassure those concerned that, even with two seemingly crippling problems, in my experience, the Air Fusion proved safe and even reliable in paddling, but now it's time to fix it!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon May 20, 2013 3:30 pm

James,

What a nice review. We really do appreciate the support of Advanced Elements. Your post is both informative and encouraging. Advanced Elements does their best to go above and beyond in their support of customers and any issues that do arise. In this particular case, even though the kayaks are well out of the one year warranty, the parts have been offered to you below cost. We thank you for your continued support and would enjoy hearing (and seeing) many of your paddle adventures!

Jeremy Cooley
Operations Manager
Advanced Elements

jamesckeenan

Post by jamesckeenan » Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks for the fast and fair treatment! Proves to me what many have said -- that your customer service is excellent!