Skeg retraction/deployment mod

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

martyrdumb

Skeg retraction/deployment mod

Post by martyrdumb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Hello all. Just thought I'd post my version of what has been discussed by others re: the AF skeg. Total cost was about $5 + a little biner. Basically it just replaces the stock single line (retraction) + bungee (that constantly pulls the skeg down) with a loop. I find this much better because there is no need to "tie off" any lines (the stock version forces you to tie off the retraction line with skeg only partially up, and under quite a bit of pressure, meaning you have to tie it off well). It now functions just like a normal skeg/rudder system found on many stock hard-shells.

Some details:

- the white square bracket that the biner is clipped to is something made by the same company that makes zip-ties (cable ties). They were $3 for 4, found in Home Depot in the zip-tie section (electrical). If you don't want to do this, you can clip the biner to anything else within reach (like the one of the eyelets of the deck rigging). So far this bracket is adhering well. I chose this rather than clipping to the deck rigging because I often carry gear and don't want the line getting in the way.

- Note: I was tempted to use a pulley instead of the biner, but there is absolutely no need, since the rope is never under tension and slides easily through the biner. The fact that it's not under tension like the stock setup is very nice.

- The black rubber "handles" are completely optional, but make it much nicer on your hands (you can just pull the rope if you want, it's not hard). The handles I found at Home Depot in the fasteners section, called "rubber blind rivet nuts" or something. They are threaded inside (they don't need to be, it's just what I found).

So far I'm happy with how it turned out :)

martyrdumb

Post by martyrdumb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Now that I see the pics... black rope would probably look a lot better, but white is what I had!

Tee Loo

Post by Tee Loo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 am

Awesome!!
Love your design!