Airfusion footrest adequate for shorter paddler?

AE1040-Y (2010)
AE1041-Y (2013-2017)
AE1042-O (current)

Moderator: JCOOLEY

klam_chowder

Airfusion footrest adequate for shorter paddler?

Post by klam_chowder » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 am

On a good day, I stretch out to 5 feet and was wondering if the Airfusion Elite front thwart/footrest is adequate/reachable for a person of my size?

I was thinking I could get the ADJUSTABLE FOOT PEGS AE4003 but from lurking this site, I realized that they would not fit.

After reading a lot of reviews, I think I've decided on getting this as my first kayak (rather than waiting another 10 years to get my ducks lined up to buy a hard frame). However, I'm worried about my paddling comfort.

Any insight or experience with this much appreciated - this forum has been a wealth of info! :D

cheers,
:)

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:12 am

The front thwart on the Fusion is fully adjustable, so you would have no problem positioning it to your liking.

klam_chowder

Post by klam_chowder » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:43 am

Thx a mint for the info, rlpugh1 - much appreciated! I'm so excited to go and get one now - flatwater certification course in two weeks and, with luck, getting the AirFusion Elite on the same weekend!

cheers,

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:12 am

I think you'll fit fine in a Fusion. I do and I am almost five foot one.
If you need an extra footrest, get a drybag to use as a dunk bag and a footrest.
(A dunk bag holds things you'd need if you got dunked, like a spare tshirt and bandana, granola bar or power bar, band-aids, $5 and payphone change, cheap "reader" glasses from drugstore, etc.)

klam_chowder

Post by klam_chowder » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:33 am

PJohanson, thx a mint for taking the time to add your testimonial and dunk bag suggestion - much appreciated!

Including all the accessories needed to get started, it's quite the plunge so it's reassuring to know things should be fab.

cheers,

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 am

The accessories do make a paddler more comfortable. :wink:
One day our paddle group had someone get dunked. Next weekend, everyone had made a dunk bag. Everyone's dunk bag had different things in it, but they were all small and useful bags. One person keeps his dunk bag in the car trunk, and says it's a good oops bag for lots of small emergencies. Another person has matches, a lighter and firestarter so she can light a fire. We all have space blankets, those silver plastic sheets folded up small, which are very warm.
I find these kayaks to be fabulous. Very portable, except for the Convertible which suits big&strong people rather than stocky little me.

klam_chowder

Post by klam_chowder » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:53 am

That dunk bag is a great idea! I'm getting the flatwater certification with a 3-day kayak camp. I know we'll be practising the "wet exercises" and then going back on land to change, but I will pack a dunk bag for the rest of the trip (and all future paddles).

A very common sense thing to have on every paddle...interesting that I did a kayak camp before and it was never mentioned. I'm pretty sure the dunk bag will be doing double duty for this chubby & stubby :wink:

cheers,