pump connecting to spring valve question

AE5001 PAcklite Pump, AE2001 Foot Pump, AE2003 12-V Electric Pump, AE2009 Hand Pump, AE2011 Hand Pumps w/Gauge, AE5006 Xcelerator Pump

Moderator: JCOOLEY

marc.cardwell

pump connecting to spring valve question

Post by marc.cardwell » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:51 pm

the AE convertible i purchased secondhand came with a coleman double action pump (it looks exactly like the AE ones), BUT the closest matching connector was too big. so i sanded it down with a fine grit sandpaper. while this worked, i had to hold the connector to the valve while pumping with one hand (that reminds me of the zen koan). i had to hold it because there was no "soft rubber" to "hard plastic" connection, it was hard plastic to hard plastic.

SO, today, i broke the pump. i suspect it was because i pumped only on one side, and it tweaked the handle. luckily, i was about 90% inflated on the main tubes, and i just used good old lung power to inflate the floor and front part.

my question, at long last: what is the connection between the official AE pumps and the spring valve? does it screw on? is it a soft rubber/plastic deal, so there is a seal? do you have to still pump one-handed?

thanks for any input on this.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Marc, the AE adapter for the current spring valves is a hard plastic screw on type. I believe you can order this adapter from AE, if this is the same spring valves you have. You should be able to see the threads around the outside of the valves on the kayak. You just screw it onto the valve and use two hands to pump.

Here's the adapter;

http://www.advancedelements.com/replacements.html

marc.cardwell

Post by marc.cardwell » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:29 am

thank you for the link! i feel like a dope, because this adaptor was in my repair kit, in the seat back. crap, all this time, i could have been pumping w/ two hands and not tweaking the handle so much.

i'm tempted to glue the pump, but that usually doesn't work out for me.

NaturalPath

Post by NaturalPath » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:43 am

Yes, AE does put a spare adapter in with the repair kit. I should have mentioned that. I used mine to adapt a bicycle pump for topping up my main tubes, should that become necessary.

I've had pretty good luck with using that two part epoxy to glue hard plastic items, that might work on your pump. I'm one for always trying to fix things before giving up and throwing them out.