Pump Problem

AE5001 PAcklite Pump, AE2001 Foot Pump, AE2003 12-V Electric Pump, AE2009 Hand Pump, AE2011 Hand Pumps w/Gauge, AE5006 Xcelerator Pump

Moderator: JCOOLEY

el_brio

Pump Problem

Post by el_brio » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:12 am

So I finally broke down and bought a Advanced Frame 10.5 on Firday. At this point I love it. I have only two complaints so far:

1) The pump value on the inside of the cockpit (Valve #2) doesn't have a screw on cap attached to it. I am not sure if it comes this way or if they forgot to put on on mine. Either way, I would hate to have some gear stowed back there bump into it and let the air out in the middle of a lake.

2) I bought a hand pump at time of purchase (an AE pump, no preassure gauge). I have heard a lot about how the old valves were a pain in the butt because the hose would pop-out of the valve so you basically had to pump with one hand and hold the valve in with the other. This was one of the reasons I got an '08 becuase it has screw on valves. UNFORTUNATELY... the pump doen't have a screw on adapter so I have been killing my back pumping the thing up with one hand and using the other to hold the hose in.

Is there some kind of adapter that should have come with it or do I need to take the pump back and order some other type?

Other than that, my only other minor complaint is that the cockpit is OK with my shoes off but with them on, it is a bit cramped. I am 6'1" 210lbs.

KayakJack

Re: Pump Problem

Post by KayakJack » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:34 pm

1. It should have a cap. You should contact AE and have them mail out a replacement to you, etc.

2. You can try wrapping the tip of the pump valve with a layer of electrical tape or duct tape so it stays in when you pump.

el_brio wrote:So I finally broke down and bought a Advanced Frame 10.5 on Firday. At this point I love it. I have only two complaints so far:

1) The pump value on the inside of the cockpit (Valve #2) doesn't have a screw on cap attached to it. I am not sure if it comes this way or if they forgot to put on on mine. Either way, I would hate to have some gear stowed back there bump into it and let the air out in the middle of a lake.

2) I bought a hand pump at time of purchase (an AE pump, no preassure gauge). I have heard a lot about how the old valves were a pain in the butt because the hose would pop-out of the valve so you basically had to pump with one hand and hold the valve in with the other. This was one of the reasons I got an '08 becuase it has screw on valves. UNFORTUNATELY... the pump doen't have a screw on adapter so I have been killing my back pumping the thing up with one hand and using the other to hold the hose in.

Is there some kind of adapter that should have come with it or do I need to take the pump back and order some other type?

Other than that, my only other minor complaint is that the cockpit is OK with my shoes off but with them on, it is a bit cramped. I am 6'1" 210lbs.