Smaller alternative for air pump?

AE5001 PAcklite Pump, AE2001 Foot Pump, AE2003 12-V Electric Pump, AE2009 Hand Pump, AE2011 Hand Pumps w/Gauge, AE5006 Xcelerator Pump

Moderator: JCOOLEY

BrianAZ

Smaller alternative for air pump?

Post by BrianAZ » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 pm

I just received my AF Expedition, haven't had time to take it out yet, but so far I'm really impressed. I ordered the hand pump/with gauge, and the thing works great, but it's freakin' huge! I want to use my Ex. on multiple day trips, and I can't imagine not taking a pump, to keep everything topped off, but this one takes up almost the whole storage compartment! LOL Any alternatives for a smaller pump I could take for "maintenance" or emergencies? Is the foot bellows pump much smaller?

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:26 pm

the foot pump is not exactly smaller to me, just flatter for where I store it. I carry the foot pump in my Expedition in front of the foot rest, under the skirt. I think the hand pump will also fit there, though. Out of the way, but there if you need it.

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:55 pm

I take two pumps along on multiday expeditions. A bravo 2 footpump and a small handpump, the kind you can use for balloons and inflatable mats. I jury rigged an adaptor for it using tape. This one is strictly for emergencies. Bringing a pump along is really a must for a day trip or an expedition.

I've toyed with getting a K-Pump, as they're supposed to be the best and they look perfect for an inflatable kayak. http://www.k-pump.com/ But I've found I can always easily stow the footpump.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:56 am

Could you pack the foot pump compressed, maybe wrap a bungie cord around it? It that wouldn't damage it, it looks like it'd be pretty compact. I can fit the hand pump in front of the foot brace, but then nothing else will fit... I looked at the Bravo 2 foot pump on NRS's site, is it generally good quality?

BladeZealot

Post by BladeZealot » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:35 am

I can fit my foot pump {compressed} in front of the brace, and most of the space is still available under it, as it rides at the top of the space.

hope this helps.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:48 pm

BZ, it sure does, thanks!

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:06 am

As far as footpumps go the Bravo line is pretty good quality. I've used my share of cheap crappy pumps and learned my lesson. No problems with storing it folded...that's how you're supposed to do it and it comes with a clip to hold it closed.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:38 pm

paddlesheep wrote:As far as footpumps go the Bravo line is pretty good quality. I've used my share of cheap crappy pumps and learned my lesson. No problems with storing it folded...that's how you're supposed to do it and it comes with a clip to hold it closed.
That's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks :)

stevewsdewar

The perfect pump?

Post by stevewsdewar » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:31 pm

Hi, just have had the advanced frame convertable for a few months now, and although im normally paddling solo and have generally plenty of space on board ive always thought that the large pump was taking up a lot of volume. Ive been looking around for a better solution and thought about a foot pump of some kind but they just dont seem to do be the right thing. This on the other hand might just about be the most perfect pump for the job!

http://www.cyclaire.com/inflator.html

It looks tiny, seems to have about the same speed as any larger model and although i haven't got one - yet - i think its on my list in the next few months. Tho you would have to get the sand filter and use a longer tube i think its about the best think around, if some one could test it - AE?? hint hint, they should probably think about stocking it.

Thoughts?

Steve
A very happy AFC owner.

Damien

Post by Damien » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:38 pm

I use the regular hand pump to inflate and deflate before and after and take the AE foot pump with me. It's fits nicely in the back of the kayak, provided I don't take a lot of stuff with me.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:09 am

I just ordered a Bravo 1 foot pump to take along, as an emergency pump, along with my Tear Aid patch kits... :cry:

The only place Google found that had both was:

www.waterstrider.com

Free plug :) They have lots of cool stuff for inflatables.

paddlesheep

Post by paddlesheep » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 pm

I used to use the hand pump but found I just like the foot pump better. A bit slower to inflate but much easier on the back. I also like the fact that with a foot pump, you're unlikely to over inflate. You just pump until you feel resistance, then give it a few more and you're done.

I read somewhere where someone did a comparison of pumps, and found that he couldn't get more than 2.25 psi out of a foot pump no matter what. With a hand pump, he could exceed 3 without noticing.

slurch

Post by slurch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:59 am

The cyclaire pump sounds good but I asked the company if they thought it was suitable for inflating canoes here is their answer:

Hi

The Cyclaire Inflator achieves a maximum pressure of 1psi and is designed for normal consumer use so I would not recommend it for a 'mission critical' application.

Kind regards
Julian Peck

Managing Director, Cyclaire Ltd

JimD

Post by JimD » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:06 am

Several people talk about taking the foot-pump out with them. How well can you use it on the water? I'd have thought you'd need a firm surface to put it on, and I'd not fancy standing up to use it!

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:17 am

JimD wrote:Several people talk about taking the foot-pump out with them. How well can you use it on the water? I'd have thought you'd need a firm surface to put it on, and I'd not fancy standing up to use it!

You can actually use your hands to pump it too if need be. Most people take it along so that if somehting was to happen, they can paddle to shore, pump it back up and paddle some more so that they can get back to their destination.