pump with guage

AE5001 PAcklite Pump, AE2001 Foot Pump, AE2003 12-V Electric Pump, AE2009 Hand Pump, AE2011 Hand Pumps w/Gauge, AE5006 Xcelerator Pump

Moderator: JCOOLEY

puttyhead

pump with guage

Post by puttyhead » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi all can anyone in the U.K recommend a hand pump with a gauge to use on the AE1007 Kayak as i seem to be having problems finding one.Many thanks . :D

kiltie_celt

Post by kiltie_celt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:17 am

I don't know of pumps with gauges available where you are, however I do have an observation on pumps with gauges in general. I asked my kayak dealer about the pumps with gauges and whether they're worth the extra few bucks over the gauge-less pumps. I already have a pump that is a double-shot design with no gauge. She (the dealer) cautioned me that the pumps with gauges work in a strange manner. Because the valves on the AE boats are designed to hold air on the pump stroke, you get no reading on a pump with a gauge. You have to actually pump with the valves set to the "deflate" setting so that there is pressure flowing through the valve at all times in order to register on the gauge. With the valves in the "inflate" position when you're not pumping air in they're preventing air from coming out therefore blocking off the ability of the gauge to read the internal pressure of the chamber you're filling. So, you have to pump in the "deflate" setting, then when you're up to pressure you have to very quickly remove the pump nozzle and then switch the valve over to the "inflate" position so you don't lose lots of pressure in the chambers you've just pumped up. This isn't the case with the floor or other secondary chambers because they use a different type of valve. However, she said she felt using the pumps with gauges were bit too tricky and not really worth the hassle. Besides the only chamber you really need to worry about over-filling is the the floor because of the possibility of blowing out the I-beams. I've noticed when I take my boat out of the bag the floor chamber is always a bit wrinkled looking so when I pump it up I pump until the wrinkles just start to disappear and that seems to be just about right in terms of the amount of pressure. So, my long-winded reply is basically to recommend sticking with the normal pumps that don't use a gauge.

jimbo

Air pump with gauge??? Model produced by AE???

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:45 pm

I was thinking about getting an air pump with a gauge after finding two pin holes in my expedition's main tubes. Two drops of glue did the trick but it got me wondering. I figured these two pin holes found near the seam were possibly due to overinflation? The only trouble is, I was out with the boat around an hour before the boat started to deflate; therefore, still not sure if overinflation was the cause. Pehaps overinflation plus heat expansion??? Anyways, thought the air gauge would help regulate how much air went in. Typically now I just try to count air strokes with my AE double action pump to try to be consistent; however, every spring I say, Ok how many pumps was it? Now that I have read your post about how troublesome an air pump with a gauge is, I have to again rethink it. Perhaps some comments from the big guys here is warranted.

Thanks

Jimbo

SF48

Post by SF48 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:37 pm

jimbo, was that the ultralite expedition? If it was, AE took the initiative on their own some time ago and sent me (and I presume everybody who owns an ultralight) a new inner bladder. I inquired as to what I should be looking for when replacing it, and they mentioned something about "white spots" on the tube. Could your situation be one of these deteriorationg inner tubes?

KayakJack

i use the double pump with gauge

Post by KayakJack » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:37 pm

I use the double barrel pump with gauge. They can be bought off from Ebay or SportsAuthority.com or Dickssportinggoods.com

I like using it with the gauge, it gives me a reference point. I still recommend applying some logic while pumping. Even if gauge says 1 PSI and the floor is stiff. Stop! :) But it's pretty accurate. I've learned to look at the high point when it's moving during the pump, not the settled point as my reference point.
kiltie_celt wrote:I don't know of pumps with gauges available where you are, however I do have an observation on pumps with gauges in general. I asked my kayak dealer about the pumps with gauges and whether they're worth the extra few bucks over the gauge-less pumps. I already have a pump that is a double-shot design with no gauge. She (the dealer) cautioned me that the pumps with gauges work in a strange manner. Because the valves on the AE boats are designed to hold air on the pump stroke, you get no reading on a pump with a gauge. You have to actually pump with the valves set to the "deflate" setting so that there is pressure flowing through the valve at all times in order to register on the gauge. With the valves in the "inflate" position when you're not pumping air in they're preventing air from coming out therefore blocking off the ability of the gauge to read the internal pressure of the chamber you're filling. So, you have to pump in the "deflate" setting, then when you're up to pressure you have to very quickly remove the pump nozzle and then switch the valve over to the "inflate" position so you don't lose lots of pressure in the chambers you've just pumped up. This isn't the case with the floor or other secondary chambers because they use a different type of valve. However, she said she felt using the pumps with gauges were bit too tricky and not really worth the hassle. Besides the only chamber you really need to worry about over-filling is the the floor because of the possibility of blowing out the I-beams. I've noticed when I take my boat out of the bag the floor chamber is always a bit wrinkled looking so when I pump it up I pump until the wrinkles just start to disappear and that seems to be just about right in terms of the amount of pressure. So, my long-winded reply is basically to recommend sticking with the normal pumps that don't use a gauge.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:40 am

SF48 wrote:jimbo, was that the ultralite expedition? If it was, AE took the initiative on their own some time ago and sent me (and I presume everybody who owns an ultralight) a new inner bladder. I inquired as to what I should be looking for when replacing it, and they mentioned something about "white spots" on the tube. Could your situation be one of these deteriorationg inner tubes?
Interesting. My kayack is the newer model of the expedition in yellow - The advanced frame expedition. I purchased around the spring of 2007. I hope my inner bladder doesn't suffer from this same defect. Thanks for info. Perhaps the AE folks could shed some light on these issues.
Thanks Jimbo

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Post by JCOOLEY » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:19 am

jimbo wrote:
SF48 wrote:jimbo, was that the ultralite expedition? If it was, AE took the initiative on their own some time ago and sent me (and I presume everybody who owns an ultralight) a new inner bladder. I inquired as to what I should be looking for when replacing it, and they mentioned something about "white spots" on the tube. Could your situation be one of these deteriorationg inner tubes?
Interesting. My kayack is the newer model of the expedition in yellow - The advanced frame expedition. I purchased around the spring of 2007. I hope my inner bladder doesn't suffer from this same defect. Thanks for info. Perhaps the AE folks could shed some light on these issues.
Thanks Jimbo
It was only the Ultralite from 2006 that had the polyurethane bladder. There was an issue with a small batch of them. The mixture for the urethane was breaking down. We corrected the problem and sent out new tubes for those that had purchased the kayak. We tried to contact as many as we could find(fortunately only a handful) and waited until others came forward. This is not an issue with the PVC tube which is what you have in the expedition.
If there is pinholes in the PVC tube, you are more than likely correct in assuming that it was overinflated. It is usually the case. A good item to have with you while paddling is Tear-Aid. It is a self adhesive patch that can be applied directly to any hole and adhears 50% right away. If you are in a bind, it is a good thing to have. YOu can visit their website to find a dealer who has some. I am pretty sure that West Marine carries it as well.

Jeremy
8)