Reading the Gauge

AE5001 PAcklite Pump, AE2001 Foot Pump, AE2003 12-V Electric Pump, AE2009 Hand Pump, AE2011 Hand Pumps w/Gauge, AE5006 Xcelerator Pump

Moderator: JCOOLEY

JCOOLEY
Site Admin

Reading the Gauge

Post by JCOOLEY » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 am

Seems lately we have had an influx of calls regarding reading the gauge on our pump properly. Here are some tools to help clarify things.

1. If your kayak has the current AE Spring Valve, you can only get a reading one of two ways.
a. If your pump does not have the spring valve adaptor you can only get a reading if the valve is in the deflate position.
b. If your pump does have the spring valve adaptor, it can be inflated while closed in the inflate position. The Spring Valve Adaptor will push the valve open and keep it open while it is screwed onto the valve.
2. If your kayak has a Boston valve it is hard to get an accurate reading because the flap in the valve does not always stay open. You can get a partial reading by very slowly pushing on the pump.
3. If your kayak has the older Bravo Valve, then it too needs to be in the deflate position to get an accurate reading.

The most pressure any of the kayaks will take (except the Fusion and SUP Board) is 2.5 psi.
When reading the gauge, please read the numbers on the gauge, not the colors. A lot of people have been saying that they don't go past the yellow section on the gauge. The Yellow section is 5-7 psi. That is way over the recommended psi and will lead to an over inflation issue. More than likely you will develop a leak on a seam or just plain blow out the tube.
For those that have a Boston Valve, you can get a gauge to check pressure that is seperate from the pump. Sevylor has one. Item code is G38144. It comes with a couple of adaptors. One of them wedges nicely into the Boston Valve to prevent air from leaking out around it. It goes up to 4.25 psi.

I hope this clarifies some of the issues. If anyone has questions or comments, please let us know.

Jeremy Cooley
Advanced Elements

Pearly

Post by Pearly » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Just to add..

You can also make a small mod to a normal fitting as per Michael's instructions below..
diemonde wrote:After sending Jeremy the pictures of my Bravo P6 Pump he told me the adapter won't fit. Jeremy did send an instruction from another AE user (Michael) on how to inflate with pressure gauge but without an AE pump. You can read about it on my blog (http://en.kajakroute.nl/?p=70), but you probably get the idea looking at the picture Michael made:

So, Michael, thank you for this great idea!

Jeremy thanks for sending it to me!