New member in Pacific NW

New to the Forum? Come in and say hello. Get to know the other members.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

dexstrom

New member in Pacific NW

Post by dexstrom » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Not new to kayaks, been paddling tupperware for 14 years but decided an inflatable style would be easier to transport and store, so bought a DS Convertible last winter and been trying the new boat out. I kayak the lakes & rivers in Oregon, with the main purpose of fishing. So, the DS needed some outfitting. I did alot of outfitting to my plastic boats, but drilling and rivets sure wouldn't do it for an inflatable! :lol: Straps and velcro replace rivets and Marine GOOP!

First thing I noticed was the zipper for the Convertible deck rubbed on my arm as I paddle, so bought the other half of the zipper at Amazon http://tinyurl.com/jvotcla and zipped that onto the boat to take away contact with those plastic teeth. I put some small grommets in the zipper clothe so I can clip on a pair of scissor or other tools I use while fishing.

Next, to protect the Drop Stitch floor I used half of a Yoga mat (bought at Goodwill) laid in front of the seat. Less chance for punctures now.

The seat and yoga mat didn't want to stay in place very well, I move around alot and often sit side-saddle while on the water so I added velcro to the top of the Drop stitch floor and the seat and mat, no more slip/sliding around.

I added some large grommets near the ends of the seat strap to tether a lip gripper or net as needed.

Here are some pics of the set-up I now have, Image
Made a mount for the fish finder out of plastic tubing bought from Goodwill of course.

Needed a rod holder and found the Caddis holder for pontoon boats to be a perfect fit. http://tinyurl.com/lqeq7tn

First blood was at a kayak Bass tournament in Hood River, ORImageNot a monster, but a great day on the water for a shake down cruise.

All in all, I'm very happy with the DS Convertible, and looking forward to many more trips and lots of fish. Now if I can just stop misplacing the inflation valves :roll: I'll be on the water often.

yaka2b

Post by yaka2b » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Welcome to the AE world !!

Where in Oregan- Portland, ?

Hope to do the Columbia Slough Regatta 2014, this August in my sof converted AE-1007.

Welcome again.

Cheers

dexstrom

Post by dexstrom » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm a little southwest of Portland in McMinnville. That's an interesting work you're doing.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:08 pm

Glad to hear of the modifications you've been doing to your kayak! Sounds like you know what you want to do with it. :)

yaka2b

Post by yaka2b » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Re:AE-1007-SOF: Thanks for your comments, I will be updating under the relevant post.

Cheers all.