Hi from Toronto, Canada - looking to buy

New to the Forum? Come in and say hello. Get to know the other members.

Moderators: JCOOLEY, rsimpson

TerenceToronto

Hi from Toronto, Canada - looking to buy

Post by TerenceToronto » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:21 pm

I've been wanting a kayak for years but haven't been able to because of lack of storage and lack of transportation for a hard shell (live in an apartment, no car).

A couple of weeks ago I happened upon a youtube video of someone with an AE Expedition and I thought it was supercool, so I've been researching online ever since.

I am a novice, only kayaked a couple of times. I really like the Expedition over the AE 1012, partly because it looks more like a hardshell but also because it appears to track better in the videos. I'll have to read more comments here about the two kayaks and come to a conclusion. The AE 1012 is more attractive because its slightly lighter/smaller, which will make it a bit easier to store and transport, but also of course because its significantly less expensive. Any feedback on comparison between the Expedition and the AE 1012 would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks!

rlpugh1
Site Admin

Post by rlpugh1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:41 am

Hello TerenceToronto!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a little breakdown between the AF 1 and the AF Expedition:

You are correct about your observations on tracking. The Expedition is 13 feet (400CM) long vs. the AF 1 which is 10.5 feet (320CM) long. The longer the kayak, the better the tracking and the faster it is in the water.

Feature wise, the two kayaks are very similar. The main differences are that the AF Expedition is longer, has a high back lumbar seat, and an adjustable foot brace. Also, if you are over 6'2" (188CM) tall, you will not really fit in the AF1.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:20 pm

rlpugh1 wrote:Hello TerenceToronto!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a little breakdown between the AF 1 and the AF Expedition:

You are correct about your observations on tracking. The Expedition is 13 feet (400CM) long vs. the AF 1 which is 10.5 feet (320CM) long. The longer the kayak, the better the tracking and the faster it is in the water.

Feature wise, the two kayaks are very similar. The main differences are that the AF Expedition is longer, has a high back lumbar seat, and an adjustable foot brace. Also, if you are over 6'2" (188CM) tall, you will not really fit in the AF1.
Thanks for the reply! I ended up purchasing the Expedition, which I am expecting to have delivered any day now. I'm getting it shipped to work - really enjoyed telling my boss I'm having a kayak shipped to our small office! I let her respond with a bit of astonishment before I told her it was a compact inflatable. :lol:

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Great delivery plans for your new kayak! You will be the envy of all at work.
I've paddled in Toronto, taking an AE kayak on the subway, bus, and streetcar. Lots of places to paddle! You will find plenty of opportunity to enjoy your new boat.
The ferry gets you over to Toronto Islands, which gives you lots of rambling space. I stayed on the inside of the curve of islands and between 'em, which is a good idea until you are very familiar with both the boat and the area on the outside. My Toronto paddling was written up on the forum and on the kayaking blog Kayak Yak.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:44 pm

PJohanson wrote:Great delivery plans for your new kayak! You will be the envy of all at work.
I've paddled in Toronto, taking an AE kayak on the subway, bus, and streetcar. Lots of places to paddle! You will find plenty of opportunity to enjoy your new boat.
The ferry gets you over to Toronto Islands, which gives you lots of rambling space. I stayed on the inside of the curve of islands and between 'em, which is a good idea until you are very familiar with both the boat and the area on the outside. My Toronto paddling was written up on the forum and on the kayaking blog Kayak Yak.
Thanks for the tips! :) I got the kayak on Thursday. I haven't taken it to the water yet, needed more equipment (pfd, among other stuff). Intended to take it on Saturday, but wanted to practise setting up, inflating, and taking it down and repacking. Did that yesterday in the backyard, really struggled getting it back in the bag!! Had to take it out and refold a couple of times. Then I was so exhausted and hot from the sun that I decided not to go to the lake lol. The expedition is really heavy and I have a trek to the streetcar. Decided I needed a little cart to strap it to, I'm not fit enough to carry 50 odd lbs long distance. Now that I have the cart it will be much easier. Thinking that taking it to Cherry Beach will be the easiest starting point for my first tour.

When you were paddling in the lake, did you find the waves were spilling into your kayak? The internet is full of warnings about that. Wondering if I should avoid the lake until I get a spray skirt.

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:18 pm

You use a little cart, too? I use a folding luggage roller with my Expedition. It's so easy to roll my kayak onto a bus and tuck it away. I put the pieces of my four-piece paddle at one end of the bag, and put that end at the bottom when strapping the bag to the roller.

By the way, two protocols to follow on a bus:
-if you and your gear are in the handicapped seat, be willing to get out of that spot or even off the bus if someone in a wheelchair gets on.
-if the driver looks at the bag funny or asks what's in it, as you say "It's a folding kayak!" tug the zipper a little open so she or he can see the bag is full of folded kayak. (There was an awful murder here in my city and the criminals transported a body in a hockey bag on a bus. I've resolved that no driver is EVER gonna wonder about MY big sports bag.)

As for spray skirts -- I use one with my hardshell Necky sea kayak, but never with my Expedition. I think Lee Johnson uses a skirt with his Expedition, but he goes out in two-foot swells off English Bay. I've never had water splash into my Expedition in six-inch or one-foot waves.
After a couple of safety practise days with friends at a sheltered beach, I am confident that my Expedition can fill up with water when I'm in it and will still float. It rides a little lower, and is more sluggish to steer, but it does not sink when full of water and me.
I like being able to flip it over on purpose and get out of it easily. If it's upside-down and full of water, my friend takes the bow and I take the stern and we take turns lifting it a little to let some of the water run out. Then we flip it right-side-up and I climb in over the bow and crawl into the kayak with some water still in it. A water pump is helpful at this point.

I recommend that you become familiar with your boat in sheltered conditions only for the first outings, so that in future if you are crossing from the Toronto islands to the main shore and the wind comes up, you will be okay. Sailboats and power boats CANNOT see us kayakers; they call us "speedbumps" for a reason.

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Great tips, thanks!

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:38 pm

I finally took my kayak out on the lake! It was AWESOME. Taking it on public transit wasn't as bad as I expected, but I'm glad I got a little cart for it (which folded up and stored nicely on top of the yak).

I even towed a windsurfer to shore who ran out of wind and didn't have a paddle, he was blown away by the Expedition! Now I'm pumped to get it out again soon. :D

PJohanson

Post by PJohanson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:22 am

Rescued someone? Win!

Hope you enjoy paddling in the Humber river near the subway station, and other good places!

TerenceToronto

Post by TerenceToronto » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:12 pm

PJohanson wrote:Rescued someone? Win!

Hope you enjoy paddling in the Humber river near the subway station, and other good places!
Thanks! I rented a kayak and paddled down the Humber last year, it was great! Lots of cool wildlife. Today I took the GO train to Rouge Hill, which is "close" to Rouge River, a popular paddling river (the area is a conservation site). However, instead of walking all the way to the river I took a path down to the lake, inflated my kayak and paddled out. A huge wave almost immediately went right over the kayak. I got drenched, but didn't care. I paddled about 15-20 minutes and the waves just kept getting bigger so I turned back. Spent an hour drying out the boat and my clothes. Note to self: get a waterpump!

Anyway, it was an adventure. Looking firward to lots more.